California diver finally delurking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can some one tell me - what northern city CenCal begins and what southern city does CenCal ends?
(I assume like the mid-west -- what ? where is the mid west?)

If you are between Monterey and Santa Barbara then you must be in SLO area --

SLO UW S&R DivCon is always the second Saturday in March- 8:00 AM to 5PM -- great program - great speakers
complete with a program syllabus --seating is limited ..$15.00

@Kevrumbo you have a PM on another RX chamber is process

SDM

I'm right in between Monterey and Santa Barbara so it's quite a bit of driving in either direction, so mostly I just dive Morro Bay. Not a big fan of all the silt there though.
One of my favorite macro dives is the Morro Bay T-Pier in front of the Harbor Department office. Sometimes the visibility is decent and the tide is slack. There is a higher variety of nudibranchs, small crabs, anemones, bryozoan and tunicates in one concentrated area than anywhere I've ever dived.
You don't need permission to dive there but if you let the Harbor Dept and USCG next door know you will be diving they will usually allow you to make an entry from their dock.

That dive location was a well keep CenCal secret until now....

Not much room to move around under the dock -- don't invite a dive club

SDM

There is a dive club that does a cleanup there every year. There is also a great photo book about the site by Gary Powell and Ken Bondy. Their photos adorn the walls of the Harbor office. Not much of a secret.
Merry and I as well as Kevin Lee have posted photos from the T-Pier for many years.

cover_2.jpe

Hi everyone, I've been reading scubaboard since before I decided to get certified (almost 2 years ago), but haven't signed up until now. I've learned so much from you guys and just want to say thank you.
Welcome to the board! Have fun and just keep exploring. Hoping you get to enjoy lots of great and safe dives when you can!

Oh, look! I learned how to quote!

Can some one tell me - what northern city CenCal begins and what southern city does CenCal ends?
(I assume like the mid-west -- what ? where is the mid west?)

If you are between Monterey and Santa Barbara then you must be in SLO area --

SLO UW S&R DivCon is always the second Saturday in March- 8:00 AM to 5PM -- great program - great speakers
complete with a program syllabus --seating is limited ..$15.00
In my thinking, CenCal overlaps both NorCal and SoCal. Monterey is both CenCal and Norcal. Santa Barbara is both CenCal and SoCal. You're right, I'm in the SLO area, which most people consider SoCal, but diving-wise and topside weather-wise, it's a lot more like NorCal.

I had heard of the DivCon but thought most of the materials will be over my head.:confused: I wouldn't want to go take up the space of people who would've gotten more out of it.....nor embarrass myself by going there and falling asleep! :oops:

One of my favorite macro dives is the Morro Bay T-Pier in front of the Harbor Department office. Sometimes the visibility is decent and the tide is slack. There is a higher variety of nudibranchs, small crabs, anemones, bryozoan and tunicates in one concentrated area than anywhere I've ever dived.
You don't need permission to dive there but if you let the Harbor Dept and USCG next door know you will be diving they will usually allow you to make an entry from their dock.

I've only dived there once but my buddy (DH) didn't like it. We'll have to try again. The clean-up last year was at the Morro Bay South T-Pier (there are 2, the "good diving" one is the North one) and there wasn't much to see except lots of trash!

Welcome to the board! Have fun and just keep exploring. Hoping you get to enjoy lots of great and safe dives when you can!

Thank you. :)

I've only dived there once but my buddy (DH) didn't like it. We'll have to try again. The clean-up last year was at the Morro Bay South T-Pier (there are 2, the "good diving" one is the North one) and there wasn't much to see except lots of trash!
The secret is that much of the life is in and on the trash. Every bottle has a fish or octopus inside and the outside is usually covered with bryozoan, metridiums and nudibranch eggs. There are uncommon nudibranchs found on the sponges and bryozoan on the pilings. The outer portion of the pier has a lot of life with less trash, but I've found a lot of interesting subjects in five feet near the rocks.
MorroBay26_zps610cf66a.jpg

MorroBay25_zps678212db.jpg

MorroBay8_zps531e5a94.jpg

MorroBay23_zps7535783e.jpg

MorroBay19_zps74014f2c.jpg

MorroBay22.jpg

howdy and welcome from southeast Florida......

Is "delurking" a real word?

Delurking is a type of social media behavior where a user breaks an "online silence" or habit of passive thread viewing to engage in a virtual conversation. The term implies that a user does not typically participate in social media or online social activities.

Oh, I thought it was French.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom