California diver finally delurking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are lovely, MaxBottomtime. You've convinced me to give the t-pier another try when the tide cooperates and the tourists leave (so we can park!)

Thanks for the welcome, iamrushman.

I was trying to decide between delurking and unlurking. Good to know I used the "correct" one!

They removed the long bench from the east side of the Harbor office where we used to gear up but replaced it with two smaller benches just above the rocks. Again, be very friendly and polite to the Harbor Department and USCG staff and they will let you use their dock and even their hose to rinse off after the dive.
MorroBay40_zpsf3dd0b0b.jpg

Oh, look! I learned how to quote!
I had heard of the DivCon but thought most of the materials will be over my head.:confused: I wouldn't want to go take up the space of people who would've gotten more out of it.....nor embarrass myself by going there and falling asleep! :oops:
Thank you.
[/QUOTE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can't cure Ugly but you can sure cure Ignorance by education...

The DivCon is presented to laymen by professionals in laymen's terminology. Many who attend are from UW S&R, teams through out California with the spare seats occupied by local divers who want to increase their knowledge of all aspect of diving.

If you were to attend you would be exposed to a different level of diving taught by experts with many levels of experience and professional knowledge. All are long term UW instructors (aka SCUBA) most are Pro-5000 divers (over 5000 dives) One is the director of the Catalina hyperbaric chamber, two are hyperbaric doctors; one is the Director of ER& Hyperbarics at a local hospital- the other is USN trained. A diving historian will lead you through the development of UW breathing apparatus all developed and operational long before Cousteau's bubble machine

If you fall asleep not to fret all attendees are presented with a program syllabus generally around sixty pages (No not a coloring book) that can be read or put in a place of honor with your other SCUBA books for future reference.

No! it would not be for you -- but you can sure cure Ignorance by education...And as a old college professor pounded in to my head "your either for education of against education"

It is evident that you are against education

Dr. Samuel Miller, 111

And as a old college professor pounded in to my head "your either for education of against education"

You're, not your. Also, or, not of. :)

They removed the long bench from the east side of the Harbor office where we used to gear up but replaced it with two smaller benches just above the rocks. Again, be very friendly and polite to the Harbor Department and USCG staff and they will let you use their dock and even their hose to rinse off after the dive.
Now I recognize this photo! I've seen it before. Did/do you have a website or something with the info about the site? I think it inspired me to dive there the first time.

As an educator by trade, I'm amused you got that from what I wrote. Nonetheless, point taken.

If you get s chance to take one of the dive boats out to Anacapa it is absolutely amazing! Every time I’ve been there it was over 80 feet visibility and there’s life everywhere. I have only done a couple of beach dives and vis was horrendous like 5 feet. However I have been swimming all summer at Leadbetter beach in Santa Barbara and if you get out there late morning to early afternoon before the wind picks up you can get around 20’. I have a 4 week underwater nav/Rescue class coming up In October and I have been told that it should be quite clear during that time.

If you get s chance to take one of the dive boats out to Anacapa it is absolutely amazing! Every time I’ve been there it was over 80 feet visibility and there’s life everywhere. I have only done a couple of beach dives and vis was horrendous like 5 feet. However I have been swimming all summer at Leadbetter beach in Santa Barbara and if you get out there late morning to early afternoon before the wind picks up you can get around 20’. I have a 4 week underwater nav/Rescue class coming up In October and I have been told that it should be quite clear during that time.
I'd love to hear about your experience with Leadbetter after your October class. I've never heard of it until now. Will have to investigate. We've gone out to Anacapa a couple times. It's lovely!

You're, not your. Also, or, not of. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A big thanks for your corrections...I generally read and if I deem important respond to the post early in the AM prior to my wife, my dog and the neighborhood stirring from a nights sleep.. most often I am still a little thick headed.

As an undergrad I took a course "Effective writing. " The professor said of my submissions " You write like Hemmingway - short choppy sentences, you have horrible grammar and spelling but have potential-- Work on it !" And I did.

After College and USAF service I published my first of many articles. Six pages on Jade Cove. Subsequently I have had 4 dedicated magazine columns and the first US news paper column devoted to diving, many illustrated with my photographs.

One of my first positions in the industry was CDO & DSO of a DDS under Dr. Andy Rechnitzer.(he had something to do with recreational diving) - (google his name) We developed a life long friendship and remained in contact. When E mailing became available we e mailed often.

On occasion he would return my e mail with very minor corrections - like you.
I inquired why? Andy said that in writing his dissertation Dr. Hubbs demanded that he retype it 16 times until it was absolutely spelling and grammatically perfect. I forgave him and our e mailing continued until his passing

My wife, Dr Betty, who retired as a college president on occasion will out of habit correct my e mails

Daughter Dr. Randi, who has six college degrees, was a model with her first cover at 14 years old and now is president of an international company, on occasion will correct my e mails.

Barbara Allen, LA CO UW Instructor and second female UW instructor in the world will on occasion correct my e mails

So you have joined a vary knowledgeable well educated select group

FYI
In 1956 I was a charter member of the LA Co UW Photographic Society aka UPS and in early 1960 I was the co founder of Orange County Underwater Photographic society aka O CUPS. In my active years I have won some of their contest and also been on judges panels. Maybe I should look at your many submissions with an UW photographic judges eye.

Cheers from CenCal

SDM, 111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom