California vs Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locke

New
Reaction score
I've been debating where to run off to for Christmas vacation this year. But I would really like to go diving. Right now I'm looking at California and Florida. Obviously money is a factor here, I wanted to go to Key West but flights and hotels are too expensive for that location for this time of year. I've started looking at Miami as well.

Any suggestions on where to go? and any good dive sites for those locations?

Thanks!

Brian

- FYI

- I'm in Northern VA
- I'm certifide Open Water Diver with limited experience
- I have Ocean dive experience

There is more to Florida diving than the Keys. The Upper Keys has awesome diving and there are dive shops on almost every corner. Do a search for Keys Diving in the Florida Conch section and you will get a good idea of what I am talking about.
Biscayne Nat'l Park in Miami is a gem from what I hear. Broward County further north has great boat and beach diving. West coast of Florida, tho a bit cold for my blood this time of year has beach diving in Venice for shark teeth. The state is also littered with sink holes and springs, allowing you to dive crystal clear water and also dive with manatees.

FWIW... we are planning a dive to Devils Den a spring fed sink hole the weekend after Christmas... look in the conch section for details...

and drive to the Keys! :wink:

So, how can you afford a hotel in Cali and not in southern Fl?? The upper keys are great and as far as reef conditions they are much better than Key West. Ofcourse the lower keys aren't quite the party type atmosphere as Key West, but it makes up for it in the diving!!

Also, there are springs all over North Florida. Ginnie Springs in High Springs, Fl offers one of the best cavern dives to OW divers. You never know you may get hooked on the overhead environment type diving...thats what happend to me after I dove there!

If the springs don't attract you, West Palm beach has some great drift diving. Water is probably a bit cold right now, but it isn't any colder than what you would be doing in Cali.

Anyhow, just some suggestions.

:)

No brainer! FL! Hurricane season is over here, but earthquakes are always in season there! :wink:

Actually, there will be one more Hurricane, due on Jan1st... other than the hurricanes consumed to enjoy the day :D

the upper Keys is just a Miami suburb. Hustle Bustle & crowds of people everywhere. The diving is ALMOST as good as the Lower keys.

Key West diving, is indeed poor and that was not always the case. I made my first scuba dives ever in KeyWest in the mid 60's.

Looe Key Marine sanctuary imho is the prettiest, healthiest reef in the Keys.

Locke once bubbled...
I've been debating where to run off to for Christmas vacation this year. But I would really like to go diving. Right now I'm looking at California and Florida.

Hmmm. Depends if you like to freeze or be warm?

Which is it? :)

Just checked some flights from DC to Miami... very nice rates. Looks like I'm going to Miami! (yeah I say that now, but I'm always changing my mind!)

Still deciding on dive sites though...

I appreciate the help!

Ocean Quest! The best little dive shop in the middle keys! Not much of a shop actually, but a group of REALLY nice folks running it, who will do ANYTHING for you to make sure you have a good dive experience.

In Islamorada, mile marker 85.5, on the south end of the bridge, on the right hand side of the road, as you are headed south. Good diving, nice fast boat that normally isn't close to full (they'll send the boat out for 3 divers, but it holds 12.) lots of great shallow reef diving and a couple wrecks nearby too.

Do a google search for their website. They will even help with motel rooms (there is a little funky hotel in the marina) nearby, and suggest good places to eat. I just completed my AOW with them over the Thanksgiving week and cannot think of a place where I was treated better!

Tell them the Tom from Frankenmuth sent you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom