Calypso J First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommymac

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a Calypso J in 1971, dove it exclusively for 18 years. I decided to get it up and running again for shits and giggles. I remember it had a recall on the HP seat and mine was effected. I bought a kit for it but I believe I'm having problems with the piston bushing assembly. Does anyone know if the backup plastic ring can be replaced with a regular "O" ring? and I am also trying to find out what first stage serial numbers were effected by the recall ?

After many years of using the same regulator I have since been afflicted with GAS. In the guitar world that's Gear Acquisition Syndrome. So many regulators and so little time.

Almost purchased one when I was a kid about 53 years ago was priced at something like $85 at the time.

Thanks for your response. I got the parts kit and watched the video on rebuilding it at Vintage Double hose.

I always had to buy the cheapest regulators until I was in the Navy. I was on the Oriskany and we pulled into Subic Bay where I bought my first top shelf regulator at the Naval Exchange, the Calypso. It didn't have much for ports, and when I got home from the service I bought another newer one with multiple ports from a friend. He had won it in a contest and was happy to stay with his Conshelf so I bought it from him for $50. and preceded to dive the shine off it.

If you are referring to part no. 8280-08 Backup Ring (part 14 on the regulator diagram), yeah you need that ring. An O-Ring probably will not work for very long even if it initially appears to seal well. That ring helps keep the sealing o-ring from extruding along the piston.

The recall involved all Calypso regulators manufactured before Sept. 1979. Technicians that did the repair were supposed to mark the regulator with a punch mark next to where the yoke screw goes into the regulator. All Calypso regulators manufactured after the recall (and had the new bushing) had a serial number that started with a zero.

I hope you get it up and running. Dad and I had a Calypso J regulator that we paired on the tank with a K valve.
We had a Conshelf we used on the tank with a J valve. This was in the early ‘70s.
I really miss the simple days of steel 72s with backpacks, and no bcd’s. Diving today is more complicated than it needs to be.

I use one of those on my pony bottle specifically for the J valve feature. Haven't had to service it yet, VDH has/had the service kits for them.

After replacing the seat without success, pretty much feel this job is above my pay grade. There are a lot of used first stages around and I got one off feebay. Thought I would use it for parts but it looks absolutely mint. No signs of wear or corrosion and there is a punch mark indicating its been upgraded. It holds a steady IP with perfect decals, like new inside and out. I had a new like diaphragm cover off an Aquarius. After some time in the ultrasonic cleaner and a new seat it breaths easier than I ever remembered. It's not old faithful but possibly a more practical approach for a shallow water swim down memory lane. .

I think this board is the first place to find anything diving.

Back
Top Bottom