Cam strap tension pads setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centexbear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I didn't know what these were but searched this forum and found out the rubber things on the cam straps are tension pads.

There were 2 on one cam strap, so I assume I take one off and put it on the other cam strap? I don't understand how you position these and where they go on the cam strap.

Can anyone maybe post a picture or provide some guidance?

Thank you in advance! Finally gonna get my new rig in the pool tomorrow and test it out!

CTB

They fit on in the groove in the backplate on the diver side of the plate.

Thread the cam band through the slot in the plate, through the pad (x2) then back through the plate again to the tank side of things. They should the fit nicely in the groove.

Do pay attention to which way the cam bands are fitted since there is an in and out side. Also remember when your threading the buckle to just follow the numbers on the lever.

They fit on in the groove in the backplate on the diver side of the plate.

Thread the cam band through the slot in the plate, through the pad (x2) then back through the plate again to the tank side of things. They should the fit nicely in the groove.

You're describing the elastomeric wedge blocks, the OP is asking about cam strap tension pads.

OP, are you referring to this...

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=43

or this...

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=56

Thanks to both of you! It was the elastomeric wedge blocks I was referring!!! I told ya I didn't know what they were!

Kern, with your link, I now know exactly what they are, where to put em and how to thread em.

Thanks guys...I appreciate both of you helping me!

The dive shop opens in about an hour & I can't wait to go rent a tank and weight belt and get in the water with my new gear!!!!!!!

CTB/Jeff

Well I did the initial test run with the new gear and I LOVED it!

Thanks Tobin, I'm really happy with my gear and purchase!

CTB

So here's a question about these two items. Do they both aid in tank retention, or do the elastomeric wedge blocks merely help secure the tank straps from moving about in relation to the backplate?

In other words, would I want to order a set of the cam strap tension pads even though the elastomeric wedge blocks came with the rig?

Oh, Tobin, can I order from you a spare set of the rubber locators. I know me too well to assume that I won't break one off in the middle of a dive trip, so I want to add a pair to my dive kit. I couldn't find them as a separate item on your website.

Thanks!
DS

So here's a question about these two items. Do they both aid in tank retention, or do the elastomeric wedge blocks merely help secure the tank straps from moving about in relation to the backplate?

In other words, would I want to order a set of the cam strap tension pads even though the elastomeric wedge blocks came with the rig?

Oh, Tobin, can I order from you a spare set of the rubber locators. I know me too well to assume that I won't break one off in the middle of a dive trip, so I want to add a pair to my dive kit. I couldn't find them as a separate item on your website.

Thanks!
DS

If you have wedge blocks there is no need for cam strap tension pads. The wedge blocks provide both functions.

Take look at the video on our site concerning the use of the wing locators. These last a long time if used as intended. Keep in mind they are only a convenience. You can dive without them, it just requires more attention when setting up your rig.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin!

And that's one of the things that I like about DSS. Tobin won't try to sell you something if you don't need it. I'd have happily ante'd up the dinero for tension pads and extra rubber wing locators. Looks like I can save my cash and buy another six-pack of Octoberfest beer! :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom