Camera carry on bag recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdavo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

i've just picked up a new 7D and am looking at a nauticam housing for it. now to look after all of this lovely (expensive) equipment i'm looking for a travel back which will fit it all in safely without attracting too much attention.

I'm looking at something like this from Thinktank, but i'm based in Oz and not sure if they're available here, plus i'm broke having spent all my cash on equipment!!

Does anyone with a similar setup have any recommendations?

Thanks!!
Phil

Airport Acceleration

Just used my Airport Acceleration for the first trip a few weeks ago. Can't say enough good things about the Think Tank. It's an expensive bag but not that much more than a LowePro or similar and it is so much higher quality than the LowePro I replaced that it seems silly to even compare them. The Acceleration held my large laptop, three P&S cameras, two housings, two underwater strobes, strobe arms, D300 and D40 bodies, 18-200 and 105 lenses, above water flash, filter wallet, chargers and extra batteries for everything and had plenty of room for me to bring my entire camera cleaning kit along on the trip as well. With all of the gear it weighed in at a fairly heavy 32 pounds but it was comfortable enough that it was much easier to carry through the airport than the old LowePro which held a lot less and came in at around 18 pounds most trips. With the included laptop case still in the outter pocket it easily fit into the overhead bins on the plane. I was hesitant to drop $280 on a new bag but I am VERY glad that I did because I think this thing is just about perfect for hauling a lot of camera gear along on dive trips.

Wow you managed to pack that pretty well then!! Thats a whole lot of equipment!

just sizing up the Nauticam 7D housing, its pretty big but i guess if i travel with the camera body already in the housing that'll save a heap of room.

thanks for the info!

I have a ThinkTank International that looks like a regular carry on that I can get my housing, T2i, lenses, strobe, and ports into easily with room to pack some clothes around. It is slightly smaller than the max carryon size for regular jets and is supposed to be compliant with planes that have smaller carry on restrictions. One thing for sure is that is not getting checked.

Quick question for you pjdavo. I was under the impression from reading Nauticam literature that you weren't supposed to transport your housing with camera inside. Am I misinterpreting something? That would certainly save a lot of space in the carry on bag.

This one is similar to a 1500:

DSCF0008.jpg

N

nice kit bag nemrod! i have an S90 with Fix housing that i'd want to squeeze in too.

not sure on the literature about transporting the Nauticam housing with camera inside (the housing is on my christmas list!), i cant see it doing any harm as long as the housing isnt sealed shut as the low pressure in the airplane could blow out your o rings. I could be wrong tho if anyone knows any different?

I travel with my camera installed in the housing without a lens on the camera or a port on the housing. Cannot think how it could be safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom