Camera Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just using a pair of Sealife SL960D's with my 35mm ReefMaster. I wanted to have a very simple system until I perfected my buoyancy with a camera underwater. It's so much different than land photography. Besides, I got a good deal on the complete package.

Okay, I've made up my mind--sort of. Since there's no way I can afford the housing (until after I sell the property) right now, and it's killing me to shoot film, I'm going to look for a decent P&S digital/housing. My buddy has graciously offered to take it off my hands, once I get my D2H set up for UW (what a buddy).

So, can anybody give me pro's cons of various P&S digital UW packages in the 8 MB range?

I've already heard some about the Canon S80, but am still in the research stage.

Jcsgt:
Okay, I've made up my mind--sort of. Since there's no way I can afford the housing (until after I sell the property) right now, and it's killing me to shoot film, I'm going to look for a decent P&S digital/housing. My buddy has graciously offered to take it off my hands, once I get my D2H set up for UW (what a buddy).

So, can anybody give me pro's cons of various P&S digital UW packages in the 8 MB range?

I've already heard some about the Canon S80, but am still in the research stage.
I have the a620 (7mp) and it works great underwater. The canon housing is good but the weird port means you can't use any wet lenses with it. You'll have to get the Ike housing if you want to use add on lenses (WAL/macro). You may be able to use your current strobe for your digital setup but I can't give you any help with that as I have no experience in that department.

I've never had the s80 but I've heard that you can shoot at wider angles UW with it compared to the a620. If it still had the raw runction, I'd recommend the s80 over the a620.

I don't believe that model has RAW, although it's predecessor apparently did.

The two digital cameras of choice seem to be the Oly SP-350 or the Fuji E-900 judging by what I have read on various UW photo forums . Two dive buddies of mine have have one of each and both seem happy .

ocrmaster:
2GB SD cards are now only $40.00 from www.newegg.com

Wow!! You have got to be kidding me and I just bought a 1gig SD card for $38.00 ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom