Camera Under $1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unproductive

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I got interested in underwater photography last year when I bought a $30 underwater camera. This season I want to get a "real" camera and I was wondering what the best camera and strobe I could get for under $1200. I don't mind digital or film. I would like to take wide angle photographs and maybe some macro. Also I am a total newbie with cameras. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

WaTeRwEaSeL:
Hey,
I got interested in underwater photography last year when I bought a $30 underwater camera. This season I want to get a "real" camera and I was wondering what the best camera and strobe I could get for under $1200. I don't mind digital or film. I would like to take wide angle photographs and maybe some macro. Also I am a total newbie with cameras. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Hi. Have you searched the photography forums on the SB sight? I have seen this discussion several times, so I know there are a few older threads, with LOTS of opinions on this subject. I use a Sea Life digital UW, which even with extra lenses is still well within your price range, but am sure you will find a lot on help if you look around a bit on SB threads. Good luck, UW photo is addictive!

Thanks for the help, yes I have searched, but there are a lot of new cameras/ strobes ect... out and I wanted a new opinion.

SeaLife Reef Master DC310 Pro Set digital camera.
$559.99
3.2 Meg pixel, good to 200 feet.

I picked mine up in Divers Direct in Key Largo this March, and have found it very easy to use. Comes in a nice padded zippered case, external strobe, and macro lens for really close up shots. You can see the photos in my gallery.

A word of advice though, get the NiMH rechargable batteries. They last 4 to 5 times longer underwater than the best off the shelf batteries.

My advice remains the same...reinforced after my two dives today and having looked at two client's shots with the Canon set-ups.

Canon A series (the 95 is the new one; I still use my 75) and housing. Check around for a strobe. I like the Inons but they are some $$. Ike also makes a super product. Expect to spend more on the strobe than on the rest of the setup :)

Also had a Canon Ixus on the boat today - very small, excellent results both with the internal flash close-up and without the flash for some things that were farther away - very clear.

The movie mode on these cameras is also fun!

Well I went to my dive shop today and I got a recommendation. My friend said to get a C-7070 with the PT housing and a Ikelite 125 strobe. How does this setup sound, are the Inon strobes, are they just as good?
Thanks

The Inon and the Ikelite strobes are both excellent. For a review on strobes to help you select the ones that are right for you look at http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

The 7070 wouldn't make my top five choices, but those who have chosen it are happy. You can do a search in the UW Photo section with 7070 for more details!

Have fun!!

Okay, I'll provide a bit of counter-point on the 7070. In the past couple months took a hard look at it, along with the Fuji F810. I was coming from another Olympus, so was predisposed toward Oly - familiar controls, feel and output. However, I crossed the 7070 off my list because of numerous complaints from experienced photogs (most of whom had other Olys as well) that the auto focus was a big problem underwater, especially for macro shots. Several went back to shooting their old cameras, some were fortunately still in a free return period and sent back the camera to look at other things.

While the 7070 seems to perform well topside, and on wide angle shots, if you're wanting to use it for macro or super macro, I'd consider other options.

The 810 has some VERY strong proponents for excellent reasons. There are still some Oly features I miss, but I know for me I made the right decision.

As for Inon vs. Ikelite, I'd have to say they're both excellent. I have the Inon D180 which has served me well. For a camera such as the Fuji 810, if I were starting over, I might consider the Ike instead, but using the Inon on manual is nice and simple and I love the results.

I'm relatively new here, and fairly new to UW photography, but I'll provide my observations as they relate to the ReefMaster cameras - I'd like to know if this applies to other brands as well.

I now have the ReefMaster DC310, but I haven't used it yet - my gallery pics are with the Reefmaster RC which I received as a gift -a great gift too since it got me started in UW photography and really improved to diving experiences.

The thing about the ReefMasters at least is that you need some add-on equipment to get everything out of their cameras.

For example, for DC310, you need:

macro set for close-ups from 8"-22" (about $80)
wide-angle lens for best pics from 2' onwards (another $80)
(or alternatively you could start with the 3x macro for shots between 2-3' and no extra lens for 3.5' onwards).

an external flash strobe is also recommended for best pics (about $150), plus you'll need it for night dives.

Then you should also look at buying an extra memory card, rechargeable batteries and a recharger, moisture munchers and other small things like that.

Also look whether support is easily available for your model in case you need to replace the o-ring or something else.

My point is that you should read up on what add-ons are recommended, available and investigate what you will probably need if you really get into UW photography. Take the cost of those things into account when buying your camera. Also check ebay to see if your camera model is popular there - if it is, then you may get very good deals on used (or new) components for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom