Camero semi-dry or Henderson insta-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm getting ready to do some beginning ( no-deco, < 130 ft) mid-atlantic diving. I'll be mostly out of Ocean City, MD or Virginia Beach, VA. and I'm looking for an appropriate suit.

I had my eye on the 7mm Camero semi-dry:
Camaro Stingray 7mm Mens Semi Dry Front Zipper Suit

but then I found this Henderson 7mm insta-dry gold core:
Wetsuits - Insta Dry Super Closeout Special - Mens Instra Dry Super Suit Closeout - 7mm Mens Insta Dry Super Closeout - Northeast Scuba Supply

For a budget of $300, which would you go with?

thanks,
dave.

I'd either go for a cheaper 7mm (in the $150 range), spend a little more than $300 for a quality custom-fit 7mm Rubatex wetsuit (should last many years), or save my pennies for a drysuit. Getting the cheaper wetsuit would just be a stop-gap measure until I could save up for a drysuit.

Good luck.

I considered the Insta-dry (due to "blow out" prices) before reading several not-so-favorable reviews. But then I've read some concerns with the front zip of the Camaro being almost impossible to get off. YMMV!

Have you considered the Pinnacle Elastiprene 7 for the same price? Or if you like Camaro, the Seamless Hydronomic? both of these suits get better reviews. For full disclosure, I purchased the Elastiprene 3mm and 5mm with Merino after days of research.

I considered the Insta-dry (due to "blow out" prices) before reading several not-so-favorable reviews. But then I've read some concerns with the front zip of the Camaro being almost impossible to get off. YMMV!

Have you considered the Pinnacle Elastiprene 7 for the same price? Or if you like Camaro, the Seamless Hydronomic? both of these suits get better reviews. For full disclosure, I purchased the Elastiprene 3mm and 5mm with Merino after days of research.

Dang, I was eyeing a 5mm Camaro for warm water dives because of the front zip as the only other I've seen is a Waterproof. It is annoying to try to zip up the back as it never quite sits right.

I have a camaro stingray pro 7mm and i really like the front zip. Once you get one shoulder out of the suit it comes off relatively easy

I had a 7mm Camaro front zip semi dry suit, though an earlier model than the Stingray. I really liked it. The arms and ankles have a skinned tubular seal with zip cuffs. These really limited water entry and exchange. I also liked the plush lining. Now some folks will say that such a lining won't add any insulation value when wet, but it sure feels better against your skin than thinly lined neoprene. It really feels better on surface intervals. I think the titanium bit is just marketing hype.

The older model's neoprene was a bit stiffer. This made the suit a little less flexible and somewhat harder wiggle into. I never had an issue with removing it.

Back
Top Bottom