Camp & Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct '08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richerso and I have been there twice before. I've done five dives so far in the big hole and it is one of my favorite places.

Camping there would be dope. The place has got to be way dark at night and I'd love to bring my 10 inch Dobsonion Telescope to check out the sky during the night.

FYI ... Rattlesnakes :wink:

Last edited:
Maybe I'll finally get a pic that's avatar worthy. I'm sure the vis is good to great, and the silo should have something for a cool background effect.

Now I can justify buying one of these:
SLFDC8P.jpg

:D

Using a Sealife DC800 Pro Set Digital Camera in Travis would be like putting lipstick on a pig so i just haven't been able to justify the purchase, but diving a cool location like a missile silo just screams for one.

Now lets see ... if I sell my cat, pawn two of my old laptops,collect on some old debts, rent out my ex-wife, sell one of my kidneys, ...

Snakes, why does it always have to be snakes? I hate snakes... :popcorn:

Andrew

I didn't see any time included in the itinerary to skin and dress out any snakes. Must be one of those cut rate trips. :shakehead:

Originally Posted by Crazyduck:
Snakes, why does it always have to be snakes? I hate snakes...

Unfortunately Indiana Jones couldn't make it. He called in sick and it was his job to collect the snakes...

Originally Posted by Crazyduck View Post
Snakes, why does it always have to be snakes? I hate snakes...

Unfortunately Indiana Jones couldn't make it. He called in sick and it was his job to bring the snakes...

No matter........ Trust me, the snakes are already there. I got the skin of one I met up with hanging in my shop right now that I brought back from where everybody kits up down in the Silo. 'Just a baby one though .....
49 inches less the head.

'Bet Momma is still down there someplace :wink:

Ahhhh bummer I have a motorcycle safety advanced course scheduled that day. I don't even know what it would be like to go out there without being in charge. Last time I was there Troy was helping divers and I hauled our steel tanks up and down those stairs, and all of our gear. We never even got wet. It's a fun day. Challenging, to say the least.

At this point I am still tentative, been busy boarding up the house and getting ready for Ike - what a pain in the rear. I was going to stay put (or "hunker down") until I heard about the 22' surge in Galveston Bay - I am at 21' - sure hope it doesnt get that high and I can hardly believe that the surge would get that high. Anyway - it might be several more days before I can commit but I want to try and make it happen.

Just the fact that it is a freaking "Missile Silo" gives it a cool factor of about 9.5!

I'm interested! Been there once - but it's been just long enough to make me want to go again..

A dark, altitude, deep, overhang, cold dive in the middle of nowhere? Sounds like fun!

D.

Some DIMWIT's have been talking and would like to go dive the Valhalla Missile Silo. It's just outside Abilene and we've got a reservation in the works. We will probably need at least 12 divers to make the trip a go.

Itinerary goes like this:

Sat. Oct. 11, drive to Missile Silo outside Abilene (4 hours from Austin, 3 from Dallas). Setup camp, check out silo, and DIVE! Eat, Drink, Sleep, and return on Sunday.

Hopefully some other Swampers from around the State will grace us with their presence :D

I've attached a schematic to give you an idea.

Who's interested? :eyebrow:

I just picked up a full Aquatica housing with dual strobes I might be talked into bringing...

Just gave it a test run in the D.R. last two weeks ago -

wreck 4.jpg

Candid adventure-diving photosessions in a missile silo! Hmm.. now if I can just round up a group of open-minded "models".... :D

Anyone have a couple of camo wetsuits, old oval masks and some scary looking dive knives? We could stage some Seahunt / James Bond scenes...
D.

Maybe I'll finally get a pic that's avatar worthy. I'm sure the vis is good to great, and the silo should have something for a cool background effect.

Now I can justify buying one of these:
SLFDC8P.jpg

:D

Using a Sealife DC800 Pro Set Digital Camera in Travis would be like putting lipstick on a pig so i just haven't been able to justify the purchase, but diving a cool location like a missile silo just screams for one.

Now lets see ... if I sell my cat, pawn two of my old laptops,collect on some old debts, rent out my ex-wife, sell one of my kidneys, ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom