Camp & Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct '08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some DIMWIT's have been talking and would like to go dive the Valhalla Missile Silo. It's just outside Abilene and we've got a reservation in the works. We will probably need at least 12 divers to make the trip a go.

Itinerary goes like this:

Sat. Oct. 11, drive to Missile Silo outside Abilene (4 hours from Austin, 3 from Dallas). Setup camp, check out silo, and DIVE! Eat, Drink, Sleep, and return on Sunday.

Hopefully some other Swampers from around the State will grace us with their presence :D

I've attached a schematic to give you an idea.

Who's interested? :eyebrow:

I am interested.....

I'd really like to, but I can't commit just yet. I hope you'll keep us posted on how many have signed up.

Sign me up, Id like to go and may have up to 2 other divers with me. I went last year and had alot of fun. Ill know for sure if I can pretty soon.

Hurricane Ike has jammed the pocket book a bit so a dive excursion is out of the picture for me for a little while. You guys have fun and dive safe. Take/post some photos!

Some DIMWIT's have been talking and would like to go dive the Valhalla Missile Silo. It's just outside Abilene and we've got a reservation in the works. We will probably need at least 12 divers to make the trip a go.

Itinerary goes like this:

Sat. Oct. 11, drive to Missile Silo outside Abilene (4 hours from Austin, 3 from Dallas). Setup camp, check out silo, and DIVE! Eat, Drink, Sleep, and return on Sunday.

Hopefully some other Swampers from around the State will grace us with their presence :D

I've attached a schematic to give you an idea.

Who's interested? :eyebrow:

:D What is the plan? Who is going? Dive Roster? Are we meeting up to Carpool? Where? When?

Shawn O.

:D What is the plan? Who is going? Dive Roster? Are we meeting up to Carpool? Where? When?

Shawn O.

Trip is a go for Oct. 11 & 12.

Details will be posted by Friday, thanks for your patience.

Pencil me in too. I'm waiting for the cost reply. A couple of questions. What kind of thermal protection do you recommend? What certification level is mandatory? I've got Open Water and Enriched Air. Do I need a backup light with my main? I really want to, "Been there, done that". Gotta put this in my dive log.

Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct 11 & 12th

Name: Valhalla Missile Silo
Skill Required: Intermediate-Advanced
Bottom Type: Silt
Water Temp: 60°F
Depth: 130 ft.
Visibility: 100+ ft.

Cost: $45 for divers, $25 for non-divers.

Camping overnight is allowed as many of us plan to do, or you may choose to stay in a hotel in Abilene.

Bring your own tanks or arrange for tanks through dive shop. There are no fills on-site.

You may dive as much as you wish within your training limits and air supply.

Sponsoring Dive Shop:

Oak Hill Scuba
Phone:512-892-4900

Fax: 512-892-9494
Email: info@oakhillscuba.com
Call to the shop to reserve your spot! 512-892-4900
Calling to reserve your spot early will also help us with a firm head count, thanks.

More details are to come, and we can use this thread to help with specifics, carpooling, directions, camping, grilling and other details.

I’ve Dived and gone to Valhalla
by Mark A Hannifin, NAUI 16654L

Once upon a time, out in the rolling hills of the steamboat mountain range of West Texas near Abilene, the United States Air Force built twelve sturdy little structures in which they stored some very precious, but dangerous, items. Tucked safely away inside the very bowels of the earth, this little project, designed to be sturdy enough to withstand the blast and seismic activity that would accompany a nearby nuclear explosion was, fortunately, never put to the test and the government abandoned the whole project after just a few years. This precious and dangerous cargo was, of course, Atlas Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) aimed at the USSR as part of our M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) deterrent during the cold war.

The missiles were removed and these hardened Missile Silos were eventually sold for salvage to the highest bidder.
Most were disassembled to varying degrees and most of the metal components sold for scrap. Nature has had its way with these structures over the years and some are partially or wholly flooded with groundwater that filters through the concrete walls over time.

The only safely diveable Atlas ‘F’ Hardened Missile Silo in existence is run by Family Scuba Center in Midland, Texas and is called ‘Dive Valhalla’. (Valhalla is from Norse Mythology and is the great hall of fallen heroes). The water is 60 degrees, 130’ deep and crystal clear. The silo is 60’ in diameter and everything from the dressing areas to the electric gear winch, lighting systems and the actual dive area is 50-70’ underground.

Attachments

• mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 64
Pencil me in too. I'm waiting for the cost reply. A couple of questions. What kind of thermal protection do you recommend? What certification level is mandatory? I've got Open Water and Enriched Air. Do I need a backup light with my main? I really want to, "Been there, done that". Gotta put this in my dive log.

To add to all that info Zinc posted, here's my 2 cents. It's really freaking cold, if I were diving wet I would definately wear a 7 mil. Remember to have lots of extra weight to compensate for all that neoprene. Yes you definately should have a dive light or two. If you have good bouyancy skills you will be ok. You must be able to control your descent and hover. This is a mid-water dive.

Edit- I'd wear a 7 mil, thick booties, and a hood and thick gloves. I remember my lips turning a nice shade of blue last time I dove at Valhalla.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom