Can a Co-Op Gear Buy Work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Can a Co-Op gear buy work where the facilitator gets no compensation whatsoever for his efforts?

I aim to find out.

My San Diego group, Power Scuba, is performing a "group buy" of Whites dry suits. The more people who join the "buy", the better our incentive package. We have 11 people committed so far.
===========================================================

A co-op group buy of Whites dry suits during next three days. I've negotiated a price-incentive package that you can not find elsewhere... even on the internet.

You have to be a member to partake, but since there's no dues... and you can join (or un-join) with the click of a button... it's fairly painless.

See the details here: Group Buy of a Quality Dry Suit! - Power Scuba (aka Scuba Diving in San Diego County ) (San Diego, CA) - Meetup.com

Bill

There are plenty of great deals out there on this hot new drysuit from Whites.

Have you seen the “Smokin’ Deal” on the Whites Fusion from Scuba Gear Plus? - Savings amount to about $700 on the package! And no group buy is needed to get the special! ScubaGearPlus.com

I’m an Orange County instructor and love diving in my Fusion!

Name the price they're getting. I'd be interested to know.

Our group is no-profit, the facilitator is not being compensated in any way, and I'm told the price we're getting beats even the on-line retailers... not to mention the tiered incentives offered us, dependent on the number of people we get.

Last edited:
I looked at your price and ScubaGearPlus.com and the SGP offer is a better deal than the best deal at 30 people.

Your price for the Fusion Sport is shown on your web site as $1290.30.

Our price is $1,119 with the following incentives at Tier Four: $50 in-store credit (x2) / $100 in-store credit / Twenty free air fills /

Tier Two incentives are more likely given our current response from members: $50 in-store credit / Ten free air fills /

So it would appear our deal compares most favorably. And no one in our group is profiting from the deal. And we're supporting a local brick-and-mortar store (that tendered us the best deal offer). That might be attractive to some.

It's an experiment of sorts, but I think grand things can come of a Co-Operative buy such as this.

Bill

Our members have a choice of four options in this deal. Sport, Tech, Sport package, and Tech package. Prices as mentioned on our group.

I'm also supporting a brick and mortar store that I have ownership interest in so we both agree about supporting local business and keeping it the family so to speak. Your idea is a good one and I trust it will bring the deal to the divers already signed up. Just in case you do not get enough divers for the Tier 4 deal, you can look to SGP for assistance. Either way White's will be happy!

We ended up with 12 people total... which got us to the second tier of incentives. Since most of the participants bought the Package Deal, they got to choose any set of fins in the store in addition to the other incentives.

Our next group buy may not be at the same store, but I can say for certain that the store that did this dry suit deal for us made my people happy.

Next group co-op buy: A dive computer perhaps?

I gotta second the Indian Valley Scuba connection . . . they are not the closest DS to me but they are the best in both price and service . . in fact, just bought my Fusion tech suit from them at a great price and got a $600 IVS gift card to boot . . .

Hi, Video Diver, wow, you got a great deal, good job!!

A few of the Dive NY members, myself included, recently purchased some drysuits from Indian Valley Scuba in PA and got great deals for our Fusions and our DUIs. Dive NY is fortunate enough to have Indian Valley Scuba in our neck of the woods as they offer great prices and match many deals we see offered elsewhere.

Deals are everywhere if you know where to look and who to ask!! Remember money saved on gear purchases goes toward dive trips and air fills!!!

Edit: Yeah, I triple what BettyRubble, fellow Dive NYer, just posted!!

Back
Top Bottom