Can anybody tell me what these are?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BenjaminF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anybody perhaps tell me what these are, and any pitfalls that I should be aware of if I decide to service them on my own?

Thank you
Benjamin

Attachments

• IMG_20120903_215828.jpg
    IMG_20120903_215828.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20120903_215840.jpg
    IMG_20120903_215840.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20120903_215856.jpg
    IMG_20120903_215856.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 304
can you take a face-on picture of the 2nd stage showing the front of the purge valve? Also what is the serial number? To me it looks like an old scubapro.

R..

The serial number is either 86040140 or 8604014C
The last digit is a bit unclear.

This is what the front looks like. It seems skew? Also, the hose connects at an angle and not straight like most hoses which I have seen.

IMG_20120903_230835.jpg

I'd say it's definitely a scubapro. It's just missing the little "S" tag that's normally in the middle of the purge valve. I don't know their regs very well but i'm going to say based on the form and robustness of the 1st stage A-clamp that it's a mid to late 1970's design. Something like that era. You'll have to wait now until a real SP expert sees this thread for more than that. Sorry I can't help you more.

edit: the serial number *may* indicate a manufacture date in 1986 but I'm not sure if Scubapro did that. I know Auqalung used to.

R..

A Scubapro MK5 1st, and a 108/HP 2nd.

Kits are available at Vintagedoublehose. Servicing is pretty straightforward: DA Aquamaster has written a piece on the 108, and advises for the MK5 are all over the DIY forum, just do a search. Just be careful with the HP o-ring that's burried inside the body of the first stage.

It's a late model Mk5 first stage and a R108 second without the little S insert in the purge valve cover.

This image shows (from left to right)
Top: R108, R109
Bottom: Mk5 early model, Mk5 late model (more LP ports).

001-2.jpg

This image shows the external differences between the R108 and the R109. The R108 is a non balance second stage and the R109 is a balanced adjustable reg.
002.jpg

The R108 was commonly used as an octo while the R109 is a very good primary reg, even by today's standards. The Mk5 may have a vintage thread size for the HP port but you can buy an adapter for modern sized threads.

Zung, what does the 108 HP stand for?

Thank you :) I recognised the 109 that it came matched with. The regulator set requires a bit of work. The previous owner just left it to dry for about 5 years without taking care of it and from the feel of things, there is a bit of gunk/corrosion built up inside.

The HP stands for High Performance.
Second Stage

BTW The other second stage is a "109." AKA "Adjustable" or "Adjustable 109." No "R' preceding it as in the "R190."

Thank you :) I recognised the 109 that it came matched with. The regulator set requires a bit of work. The previous owner just left it to dry for about 5 years without taking care of it and from the feel of things, there is a bit of gunk/corrosion built up inside.

Well the good news is that the design is very robust and easily serviced. If they're not working now then it should be a simple matter for a tech to get them back to working order.

R..

It's less a matter of not working and more a matter of everything perishable - apart from the exhaust valve - has perished.

Back
Top Bottom