Can anyone help, please!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costadelsol

Reaction score
Hi all

New to this site and may i say what a great site it looks, sorry to start of with such a long winded question but I have just come back from a dive and it is really P***ing me off.

I need some help on buoyancy, I have recently passed my open water course and now I am on to my 7th dive (including the course). The problem that I have is that I am having big problems desending after I let the air out of my BCD, I deflate the BCD at the same time as my buddy, he desends with no problem and I just float on the top and go nowhere. When we have done dives from a boat I do manage to get down ok by pulling myself down the line, once I am down I don´t really have a problem, its just the initial desending. I have tried to do 2 shore dives and it is driving me mad!!!! and my buddy as well I think, but he is too polite to say!!

Now for the important bit that you need to know in order to answer the question. I am male - 6"2" and lets say a large build. I have 10 kilo of weight either in a harness or belt, I have tried both. My BCD is a Scubapro Glide 500, not the best or most expensive on the market but the guy in the shop assured me that it was ok. After the dive (well what I can do of it anyway) and I release the air and any water from my BCD there seems to be about maybe a pint of water in it, is this normal? I know there should be a bit in there but there seems to be more in mine than my buddys, could this be part of the problem.

I will go to a dive centre during the week and ask them about this but, was just wondeing if anyone here can help answer the question, before someone trys to sell me something else!

Regards

Ian

What are you wearing as exposure protection?

Are you exhaling fully while descending, and are you fully relaxed, as these 2 factors will both affect your descents.

As for the excess water in your BCD that could be because you are inflating and deflating it excessively whilst under the water.
Hope this has been of some help.
Enjoy your future dives :wink:

costadelsol:
Hi all

New to this site and may i say what a great site it looks, sorry to start of with such a long winded question but I have just come back from a dive and it is really P***ing me off.

I need some help on buoyancy, I have recently passed my open water course and now I am on to my 7th dive (including the course). The problem that I have is that I am having big problems desending after I let the air out of my BCD, I deflate the BCD at the same time as my buddy, he desends with no problem and I just float on the top and go nowhere. When we have done dives from a boat I do manage to get down ok by pulling myself down the line, once I am down I don´t really have a problem, its just the initial desending. I have tried to do 2 shore dives and it is driving me mad!!!! and my buddy as well I think, but he is too polite to say!!

Now for the important bit that you need to know in order to answer the question. I am male - 6"2" and lets say a large build. I have 10 kilo of weight either in a harness or belt, I have tried both. My BCD is a Scubapro Glide 500, not the best or most expensive on the market but the guy in the shop assured me that it was ok. After the dive (well what I can do of it anyway) and I release the air and any water from my BCD there seems to be about maybe a pint of water in it, is this normal? I know there should be a bit in there but there seems to be more in mine than my buddys, could this be part of the problem.

I will go to a dive centre during the week and ask them about this but, was just wondeing if anyone here can help answer the question, before someone trys to sell me something else!

Regards

Ian

In addition to answering the exposure protection question, how much do you weigh?

Sounds to me like to wear approx 22 lbs of weight, but may need 5-10 lbs more, depending on your weight and exposure protection...

Also, are you moving alot during descent? Unintentionally moving your hands and feet during descent will keep you afloat.

costadelsol:
Hi all

Regards

Ian

Ian,

For starters, welcome to Scubaboard! This is very likely the worlds greatest resource for scuba divers.

In addition to what the others have already asked, I'll add these questions:

- what kind of tank are you using? (Eg. aluminium / steel and the size of the tank)

- have you recently done a buoyancy check using the procedure they taught you in your Open-Water course? If so what did it tell you?

R..

There are several ideas. First, try to add some weight, little at a time, until you start to sink. Don't forget about exhaling fully like Mrs Mares has stated above. I have had trouble descending because I was breathing to fast. I wasn't really holding my breath, and I was exhaling fully, but I was taking a breath too quickly. It caused me to float. As soon as I realized what I was doing, I slowed my breathing. Guess what, I sank like a rock.

By the way. Introduce yourself in Introduction and Greets.

Click here for a direct link-------->[red]Introductions and Greets[/red]

mabey add some weight.
why did you type this in the womens section? its true that women are the smartest, so at least you have good sense! :wink:

Hi All

Thanks for the quick response to my question. Here is some further information to the questions you have asked me:

1. My exposure protection is a 7mm Scubapro Everflex wetsuit.

2. I am exhaling fully while descending, and trying to be as fully relaxed as I can, but
you now how it is the more you try to desend and can´t the more stressed you get,
but I am certainly trying to stay calm.

3. My weight is around 18 stone, I don´t actually look it (even if I do say so myself )
and that may be why I have been advised in shops that I only need 10 kilo.

4. I do my best not to move my hands and feet when trying to descend.

5. I am using a steel 15ltr tank.

6. As for the question of the buoyancy check not totally sure what you mean, I have
done the buoyancy check, where you lie on the sea and pivot on your fins and that
is ok, as I said in my question when i eventually get down I can control my
buoyancy ok, but getting down is the problem.

Once again everyone thanks for helping and I am looking forward to your reply´s.

Regards

Ian

P.S. Dave Barry, I feel like I am looking at the top of the circus tent at the moment, not the outside, LOL

Thanks Jr, I was wondering the same thing myself. Anyway we gals will give you some good advise. When I enter the water, all the air is out of my BCD. I have been known to manually suck any remaining air out of my BCD. Most new divers are not aware that they are kicking their feet. Have someone watch you and see if this is indeed true. Next take a really deep breathe in and then exhale, exhale, and when you think you can't exhale anymore.....exhale. Experience, experience, experience is going to help you solve this problem. Think about taking a peak buoyancy control class.

Good luck to you!!!!
SWT

Great women, great advice. Your subconscious knew where to go........

I had a similar problem on my first few dives and I have great buoyancy control too. I was the slowest on descent. I'd drop just fine to about 25' and then my descent slowed, much to my annoyance. I was with experienced divers, and it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't fast enough. And I'm about as relaxed as you can be and still be conscious. My instructor had me to switch from a vertical to a horizontal position, it gave me perfect control. Not sure WHY it works, but it did. (could be that I was twisting and turning a bit to look around......a bit overzealous to start looking around :wink: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom