Can anyone point me to my ideal scuba bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rikbarry

Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I want:
- Backpack style
- Closed, not mesh
- Small enough for one set of warm weather gear
- Long enough to hold my Scubapro Seawing fins

I 've used an Oceanic backpack for the past 14 years but it no longer holds today's longer fins, and it's starting to fray. I love the portability of a backpack for traveling, and for dive boat use, and I have no need for a huge case. I've seen a lot of "carry-on" size bags online, but only a few have backpack style shoulder straps. Some have wheels, which I don't mind, but I understand they add weight and aren't very practical for the dive boat.

Any suggestions?

Check out the Cruise X-Strap by Mares ... I own one of their larger Cruise Classic bags, and it is constructed of the same durable high-endurance material.

In hindsight, I wish I would've purchased the X-Strap due to its back backpack style carrying design.

2.5 years ago, I purchased the Mares Cruise Backpac Pro. I love the design and the fact that it can also be used as a backpack in addition to the handle/roller feature. Locally, I will split my gear throughout the different compartments (one fin on each side, etc) but when I travel on airplane, I put all my gear (except regs, dive computer and mask which I carry with me as personal item) in the main compartment that I secure with a lock.

Ok, after re-reading your post, it might not be what you are looking for because in my case I do not use a single bag for everything. For local diving and for travelling, I will use the Mares Bag and for boat diving, my Akona boat/mesh bag.

Maybe in your case, a duffle bag design (Mares Cruise Quick Pack) would meet all your requirements as it would be enclosed (water resistant material), be big enough to store all your equipment and foldable to minimize the amount of room it takes on boats.

RTee and Courier:

The Mares Cruise X-Pack does look good to me.
Leisure Pro lists it as "discontinued," but Mares still lists it on their site, so I wonder what's up with that?

As for the Mares Cruise Quick Pack, I wonder about a mesh bag for airline travel?

---

2.5 years ago, I purchased the Mares Cruise Backpac Pro. I love the design and the fact that it can also be used as a backpack in addition to the handle/roller feature. Locally, I will split my gear throughout the different compartments (one fin on each side, etc) but when I travel on airplane, I put all my gear (except regs, dive computer and mask which I carry with me as personal item) in the main compartment that I secure with a lock.

Ok, after re-reading your post, it might not be what you are looking for because in my case I do not use a single bag for everything. For local diving and for travelling, I will use the Mares Bag and for boat diving, my Akona boat/mesh bag.

Maybe in your case, a duffle bag design (Mares Cruise Quick Pack) would meet all your requirements as it would be enclosed (water resistant material), be big enough to store all your equipment and foldable to minimize the amount of room it takes on boats.

OK...unless I am missing something, the Cruise Quick pack is made of cloth while the Cruise Mesh Pack is made out of mesh (so are the Cruise Backpack). Therefore the Quick Pack should not be a problem for airplane. I would not recommend a mesh bag for airplane travel...because for one, folks can see what is inside (unless you bring it as a carry-on) and it cannot be secured. Therefore I would opt for the cloth design.

OK...unless I am missing something, the Cruise Quick pack is made of cloth while the Cruise Mesh Pack is made out of mesh (so are the Cruise Backpack). Therefore the Quick Pack should not be a problem for airplane. I would not recommend a mesh bag for airplane travel...because for one, folks can see what is inside (unless you bring it as a carry-on) and it cannot be secured. Therefore I would opt for the cloth design.

Sorry, brain fart or copy-paste error : (

What I really meant was that the Cruise Quick pack doesn't appear to have backpack straps, which is what my ideal bag would have. I don't want anything big because I dive alone in warm water.

So I purchased a Deep See Excursion Roller Backpack, and i think I've found exactly what I need.
It's big enough to carry all of my warm water gear, including my fins. It has and extension pocket at the top, just to accommodate fins!
I bought it from Divers Direct for $99.98 plus $4.99 shipping!
It has both shoulder straps and roller wheels. Not many pockets, but everything fits.
I should be able to use it both as airline luggage _and_ for the dive boat.

So I purchased a Deep See Excursion Roller Backpack, and i think I've found exactly what I need.
It's big enough to carry all of my warm water gear, including my fins. It has and extension pocket at the top, just to accommodate fins!
I bought it from Divers Direct for $99.98 plus $4.99 shipping!
It has both shoulder straps and roller wheels. Not many pockets, but everything fits.
I should be able to use it both as airline luggage _and_ for the dive boat.

I bought an Excursion from my dive shop, and it's been on two scuba trips with me now. It fits all my gear (except weight, tanks, wetsuit). I've had no problem putting it wheels-in into overhead bins on planes as long as I don't use the outer mesh pocket on the plane; the fin pocket is technically too tall for most airline standards, but the fins flex a bit, and the overhead bins close with no problem. So far, the quality seems good, and I really like that fin pocket. I've taken it on boats with no issues.

A couple downsides: a) There is no handle on the side of the bag. Granted, most backpacks don't have such a handle, but it would be really helpful for this bag, which I think will be packed heavier than a typical backpack. b) It's not actually comfortable to wear the bag as a backpack. The wheels dig into my sides a bit. I prefer rolling it anyway, so this is not a big deal to me.

I use a generic rolling case or a backpack depending where/how Im travelling. I don't use dive branded gear bags, my thinking is that it's telling baggage handlers in far off places that my bag contains expensive gear.

A couple downsides: a) There is no handle on the side of the bag. Granted, most backpacks don't have such a handle, but it would be really helpful for this bag, which I think will be packed heavier than a typical backpack. b) It's not actually comfortable to wear the bag as a backpack. The wheels dig into my sides a bit. I prefer rolling it anyway, so this is not a big deal to me.

Good points!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom