Can anyone recomend a couple of dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some of those big 8 "D" cell lights but I don't use them. They are very heavy and can light up all of the ocean-no need for that-and they use so many batteries. What I found was a very focused beam of light scares of those nocturnal beaties-they are out at night for a reason-they hate the light. I have a Princeton Tec 400 which is a nice light. However, it has a narrow, focused beam and either the light is right on the animal or off of it. The light I prefer to use has a larger softer beam to it and it is the Aqualung Lumen(either 4 or the 6 model). A broader beam that you can put half of the beam on a nocturnal animal without it getting scared off. I got my dive lights at http://www.diveinn.com for about 12 dollars US and I can't say enough about the place.
I am sure that these lights do not provide enough light for tech/wreck diving. You would probably want something big and heavy and expensive and difficult to operate for that type of diving.......just kidding all you tech/wreckers!!

I have the light Mario describes and it is "A Gift from God" when it comes to night photography. I need a third hand just to operate my camera during the day and at night it's even worse. That UK Mini Q40 is a dream. Not to bright to scare off your nocturnal subject but bright enough to illuminate the camera controls and the area around you. It's a great idea.

I am a huge fan of Underwater Kinetics Light.

If you want to spend $200, the new light cannon hid light is awesome. It does not look that bright on the surface, but underwater it penetrates MUCH further than traditional lights.

You can also go with the C8. It is a great light, with a nice wide lighting area and two bulbs.

I dive with a SL6, which is a six c cell light that has a great hot spot, but not much peripheral lighting. I also have the sl4, which is the same light with only 4 c cell batteries. I use it as a primary on ocean dives.

If you want the best backup made, use the new 2L. It is about the size of a thumb, and is everybit as bright as the Q-40. It comes with lithium batteries and a bc clip. The batteries have a comparable burn time to alkalines, but have a shelf light of up to 7 years.

Ahh, I wouldn't go as far as saying UK all the way. Their lights are well built, but they are heavy and bulky in the water. I love lights that you don't have to hold all the time while diving. A handsfree system gives you much more flexibility than a big clunker in your hand or on the end of a lanyard. Spend a bit more and you can get a really good light!

A general observation about lights... if you have the choice between one with a switch and one you have to unscrew to turn on/off, get the switch. My Princeton Tec backup light lasted 4 dives, then leaked and destroyed the batteries. I know someone else who had the same light and the same track record with it.

Honestly, I use my backup light (PCa Ikelite) more than my primary light becuase I always carry it on daytime as well as night dives. It's very bright, brighter than my primary light, but doesn't throw as wide a beam. When I'm ready to replace my primary, I'll look at the Ikelite line to see what they have becuase I'm really happy with this one.

Julie

Pelican NEMO 8C

really nice low profile package bought it for $54

I have been using my Pelican Super Sabres for 4 years and haven't had any problems. Really good lights, bright light, indestructable case.

ID

Another one for the UK lamps.

As with Mario, The Mini-Q-40 is the best backup I have found. As for a primary, I have their UK 400R, which has been replaced by I'm not sure what C4 or D4 (the C and D cells have different names in europe, and I can't remember which is which). Good lamp, with good powerfull two zone beam (centre spot, and wide area) that is just what I wanted.

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom