Can cheap fibre optic cables do the work fine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KF LEONG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know Inon FO cables are great but they are very expensive.
Will other cheaper brands like 10bar, FIT do the work?
Appreciate advise from experienced users.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, indeed and if you are at all handy, all you need are some toslink cables from Monoprice and they cost only $2 or $3 US.

Bill

Yes, indeed and if you are at all handy, all you need are some toslink cables from Monoprice and they cost only $2 or $3 US.

Bill

How does one make a TOSLink cable work?
And, where can I get a cheap cable designed for the strobe connection without modification? I'm finding $70 is the going rate for the cables. That is ridiculous pricing.

In my specific application, the cable will be from a Olympus PT-053 housing to a Sea & Sea YS-D1 (in case there are differences). I'm new to the underwater strobe / still photo world.

Thanks!

I also use a toslink cable for my inon s2000's. I simply used a piece of a rubber tube to fit the Toslink connector to the strobes and DIY-ed a little connenctor cap for my 10bar housing. Total costs: 3$, works like charm.

I too made up my own FO cable connectors using a 10mm plug from the auto spares shop that fits my SnS 110a and my Inon 750, my Olympus housing came with rubber plugs. The advantage is that if you have a problem [which I have not so far) you can replace the cable for a few cents. Total cost $2.50 for the plugs and $1.50 for FO cable. They have worked for the last 3 years with only a couple of cut backs of FO cable where it broke near plug, it was still working but I thought it best to re-do it.

II simply used a piece of a rubber tube to fit the Toslink connector to the strobes
Please can you put a picture of the piece (connector to the strobes? Thanks!

---------- Post added January 12th, 2014 at 08:35 PM ----------

I too made up my own FO cable connectors using a 10mm plug from the auto spares shop that fits my SnS 110a and my Inon 750, my Olympus housing came with rubber plugs
Please can you put a picture of the piece connector to the strobes? Thanks!

Personally I prefer the cables that are coil shaped and extend otherwise it may get in the way
Also I prefer the L shape ending of the sea and sea cable as opposed to the straight connection of the inon bush plug
I know sea and sea cables cost a lot of money but I have one since 7 years and works always a treat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom