Can dive masters and instructors solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I would be surprised if a lawyer would take this on a "no-win, no-fee" basis. I would imagine the chance of winning the case is not good and scuba instructors aren't known for making huge amounts of money. I say this, because the student would be suing the instructor personally - I can't see how the instructor's private behaviour could be connected to the dive company employing them - which may well have deeper pockets."

Well, if the instructor has insurance, or the dive shop (which has insurance) can be involved, then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

My concern in this discussion is with whether instructors and dive masters face potential liability, not whether any given lawsuit will be economically feasible.

jim ernst:
hey guys and gals, PADI DOES NOW HAVE a solo diver course, it is not widly advertised yet but it is there!!!!! check into it and you will find it!!

Where did you hear about this? What's the name of the course, and what do I have to do to qualify to teach it?

jim ernst:
hey guys and gals, PADI DOES NOW HAVE a solo diver course, it is not widly advertised yet but it is there!!!!! check into it and you will find it!!

I just spoke with the PADI training department about this. They laughed and said they do NOT have a solo diver course, and that this rumor is unfounded. It sounds like PADI has not changed their stated position on solo diving.

deepwaterferret:
Well, if the instructor has insurance, or the dive shop (which has insurance) can be involved, then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

My concern in this discussion is with whether instructors and dive masters face potential liability, not whether any given lawsuit will be economically feasible.
After working nearly 20 years in the legal industry, I can categorically state that ANYTHING can cause you to face potential liability. A good (read: unethical... most of the time) lawyer can and will sue for just about any reason, warranted or not. The case might get thrown out of court, and if you're really lucky you might win some costs if the judge finds it to be truly frivolous, but no matter what it's going to be a hassle.

Use common sense, but don't live your life in fear of getting sued, because short of becoming a hermit and living in the backwoods somewhere completely inaccessible, there is very little you can actually do to prevent from being sued by someone really determined to do so.

Back
Top Bottom