Can I dive to 40m (130ft)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. Some say no go, you need more experience. Some say OK, assuming you did all the planning, etc. on those previous dives. Some agree that you should do more dives on your own without depending on a trained guide. I agree with Nitrox and bigger tank. And, the odd one says yeah you're probably good to go. What does this say about knowing your own risk assessment?
I agree you have to have a purpose to go down there. There is disagreement on what there is to see deep vs. shallow. I got a few very nice whelks on the Deep course here in NS, but that's the only species I saw on the 4 dives, so doing that again (here, at least) is probably not in the cards.

I think a lot of folks interpreted my post as there’s nothing to see at deep depths. That’s not what I’m saying..... I think many missed my point. It’s worth going deep if you’re looking for something specific or you know there’s something interesting there and not just for the sake of being able to say you did a deep dive or logging a deep dive to a particular depth unless the OP is after the requirement that some classes have before taking. e.g., X number of dives minimum with Y being > Z feet deep. Or worse, because others are doing it and they feel pressure to as well but let’s hope not. :)

I’m trying to tell the OP that i don’t necessarily think that they are missing out on a whole other world and that there’s still plenty to see shallower. There’s no immediate urgency to do this until they really are comfortable with it.

I think a lot of folks interpreted my post as there’s nothing to see at deep depths. That’s not what I’m saying..... I think many missed my point. It’s worth going deep if you’re looking for something specific or you know there’s something interesting there and not just for the sake of being able to say you did a deep dive or logging a deep dive to a particular depth unless the OP is after the requirement that some classes have before taking. e.g., X number of dives minimum with Y being > Z feet deep. Or worse, because others are doing it and they feel pressure to as well but let’s hope not. :)

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off too harsh. I agree with you.

What's worth seeing at 130? For me it was Hole in the Wall off Jupiter, a passage through one of the reefs, about 140 at the bottom and maybe 125 at the top, a quick swim-through with some huge Goliath groupers hanging out there.
I don't recall how many dives I had then, maybe 70? Nor do I recall for sure if Nitrox but I believe it was N-28. I stayed close to other divers as this is a "drift dive with a destination", watched my gauges like a hawk, and started the ascent at 1200. So it was a short dive, maybe 24 minutes. But really cool.

Was I ready? Apparently so. But at that depth you can't afford to have anything go wrong. It didn't.

Ultimately you will have to be your own judge as to whether you are ready.

The travel to and from the site is likely more dangerous than the dive.
The before and after extra curricular surface activities are likely more dangerous than the dive.

That being said,take all normal precautions,stay close to your buddy/guide and dive as planned.Oh,and have fun.

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off too harsh. I agree with you.

I literally awwwed at this. No need to apologize though I really appreciate your sentiment. I was just surprised at the reactions and was thinking, “but wait!” :) All is good. I could have explained myself better, too. :)

The original post was

Can I dive to 40m (130ft)?

Yes you can dive to 130 - or deeper..
But you only will receive credit it you make a round trip -- from the surface to depth then return.

Current training requires additional training and $$$ for activity out of prescribed standards.

I would suggest additional training and considerably more experience

SDM

my 2 cents: If you have the opportunity to take a deep diving class, I would recommend doing so - the specialty is not a bank breaker and provides many useful tips - like additional things that COULD go wrong and how to prepare for them. There are no gates at 40m to check your certification level - or 50,60,70(i.e. dive smart and only what you are prepared for). An extra level of care - maybe extra gear like a pony - is needed when you are below a "safe" CESA. I have not taken any "tech" courses (yet), but did take the deep dive class and personally love deeper dives. I've (again personally) never had any "significant" issues between 100-150' dives - but just like when ice (or just really cold) dives - I've noticed full cognitive abilities are a bit slower. So on these dives I focus on ensuring I double check myself and buddies. As for what to see - it's also been mentioned - it's what you want/expect to see. On tropical trips, yeah the reef changes significantly - but that's also a reason to go look and enjoy the differences. As fewer divers tend to do the deeper areas, I enjoy the serenity of being around fewer divers sometimes - as long as the dive operator doesn't have strict limits.

Plan your dive, dive your plan...and be comfortable with the plan...and plan (at least mentally) for what could go wrong as much as possible. Enjoy!

A year and a half ago I was at Daedalus, in the Red Sea, perched at around 145 feet completely surrounded by hammerhead sharks. But I was also diving twin 80's (sidemount) and on 25/25 trimix. Makes the dive quite a bit different than it would've been on air and in a single cylinder. I've been to 150 feet on air, and it's not an experience I'd care to repeat. We're all different in terms of how we react to high partial pressures of nitrogen, but I knew even at the time that if anything went wrong I lacked the mental acuity to deal with it.

Ironically, this is exactly the dive site I had in mind when I wrote the previous post. We were there last month and really didn't understand why the dive plan had us dipping down to 130 feet. So I take it the sharks there generally prefer such depths? We figured it was that, but the divemaster never explicitly said so. Anyway, my wife and I duly began the dive as the divemaster had planned, reaching a maximum of 130 feet, but then looked at our gauges, looked at each other like "there's nothing to see here," and started ascending to a depth that would allow our gas to last a bit longer. We really did see almost nothing on that dive but blue water.

Back
Top Bottom