Can I dive to 40m (130ft)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they're fooling around then I think they're doing a disservice to novice divers.
You must be fun at parties...
Really? Thread after thread are made where people drone on about how serious safety considerations are, but in this case it's fine to kid around?

Take your sarcasm elsewhere please.

The OP was about moving out of a comfort zone. These guys have a comfort zone a lot bigger than most and they act accordingly. They are meticulous about safety and I’m sure if anything went sideways the jokes would vanish while they dealt with it.

Like me on a 30’ reef bimble.

I for one am not in a position to judge what is an inappropriate level of levity on dives that are way outside anything I would ever contemplate but they call Tuesday.

If they're fooling around then I think they're doing a disservice to novice divers.

... Thread after thread are made where people drone on about how serious safety considerations are, but in this case it's fine to kid around?

I do not follow how anything here is a disservice. They are commenting, colorfully, on the frustrating conditions of the dive. Yes, sometimes those frustrations can also be risk factors. I just re-watched the video. From the clips, neither diver is feeling at risk. That the water is **** cold, but not that they are hypothermic. It is like saying "**** it is surgy down here". Surge is a risk factor. But if that statement is followed by "What do you think is over there, let's see." It is likely that diver is not feeling at risk. The video is clips from a dive, there may well be exchanges of checking each other are ok with the cold, or they know each other enough to understand each is just bitching.

I do not see any fooling around in the clips, unless you count one diver going "Wooo" as fooling around.

Last edited:

Really? Thread after thread are made where people drone on about how serious safety considerations are, but in this case it's fine to kid around?

So someone doing something on a very advanced dive is a disservice to novices? Why would they even be thinking about how what they are doing would affect a novice diver?

Diving is supposed to be fun, my friend. You got a very lengthy warning before the video began. If you think that language is too colorful, stay away from spearfishermen too. :wink:

Sometimes it's best to just move on. Criticizing a really prominent diver who has actually named fish you may see on a dive one day, doing a 400 ft. dive, closed circuit, off Christmas Island, in an apparently very cold thermocline, because of the language he used in a video that was clearly marked for diving humor (most of us laughed out loud) seems a little silly and thin skinned.

Wow I never thought the thread would get this many responses!

I don’t have time right now to respond to individual replies but I’ll get to it soon. I think I’ll postpone the 40m dive to next time and focus on trying to plan my own dives in detail in this trip as preparation... (better safe than sorry)

I have the information I need but feel free to keep the thread alive. It seems to be resulting in some productive conversation!

I have to applaud the OP. It takes some guts to ask a bunch of strangers a loaded question like this given the possible replies and answers from the group. We can be a tough crowd sometimes! Furthermore, when it’s not what one wants to ideally hear, to be accepting of it and to keep an open mind and be willing to listen to others. It’s not easy to do and I admire all of this.

I have to applaud the OP. It takes some guts to ask a bunch of strangers a loaded question like this given the possible replies and answers from the group. We can be a tough crowd sometimes! Furthermore, when it’s not what one wants to ideally hear, to be accepting of it and to keep an open mind and be willing to listen to others. It’s not easy to do and I admire all of this.
I applaud @The Chairman and the mod squad for applying special rules for posting in the basic scuba and new divers forums to help create an environment where newer divers can ask important questions like this without being ridiculed or insulted. Scubaboard makes an effort to make this discussion possible by continuously moderating these green forums for tone and removing members that don't play well with others. This is the place for new divers to learn. Insecure bullies that need to inflate their own egos by insulting others must do it someplace else and for that I am grateful.

@RayfromTX - wholeheartedly agree with that.

This is the place where new divers should feel able to ask any question without fear of adverse reactions.

I feel that I progressed a lot more as a diver from participating in these two forums (new & basic) than from a lot of course work. I probably asked a ton of dumb questions but I learned a lot in here and I feel it has made me a far safer diver. Top marks to @The Chairman and all the mods for creating and maintaining that atmosphere to allow us to grow.

It is worth restating the oft quoted line " the only truly dumb question is the one that was never asked".

I feel that I progressed a lot more as a diver from participating in these two forums (new & basic) than from a lot of course work.
I've said that I learned to dive three times... once when I was 12 (no cert), again when I finally got certified and finally got it right when I found ScubaBoard. :D :D :D

This thread got me to do some reads on decompression, in particular, GF (Gradient Factor), that's often mentioned. I found this video referenced in an older scubaboard thread. It's worth repeating, I think...

Gas model using Buhlmann ZHL16 vs
Bubble model (deep stops) vs
ZHL16 + GF (to make ZHL16 closer to Bubble model)

(It's worth noting that Subsurface, the free open source divelog, can show you a tissue saturation graph, as in the Buhlmann model, as seen in the video.)

Back
Top Bottom