Can I get an honest opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mad_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All...... Great board...... I'm reading some awsome advise here!

Let me start by saying I'm not OW Certified YET! That's next month..... I'm pretty excited.....

Here's the thing...
I have an older regulator setup with Octo and SPG. I got it in a trade for some musical equipment. It's all made by Sherwood.
The Regulator is a Sherwood 4000 (1st and 2nd stage)
All hoses are intact and look in good shape.
The Alternate (Octo? I think) is also a Sherwood. I think the whole unit is called a Sherwood 4000.
Sems like this whole thing is a swivling setup....

Anyway, when I went to sign up for my OW class, I took the setup with me. The instructor there was "selling me" on all the really cool...... AND really expensive Scubapro stuff. When I asked him to look at the Sherwood rig... He laughed and asked what museum I stole it from, then gave it a quick glance and said the whole load was basically junk. That thuoght I'd be better suited in a New Scubapro setup. Something like $2500 worth of Scubapro.
Since then I have bought an MK20 with R380 Reg. I'm juist wondering if his quick assessment might not have been sales driven? I can do pics of the Sherwood if anyone would like to see it.

Sorry I was so long winded. I'm just a bit skeptical when we start talking more than $1k...........

Thank to you all.

Okay, here's an honest opinion, and some facts.
The Sherwood 4000 is probably from the late 70's. It predated their "dry bleed" system. It's big claim to fame was it's "modular" design, meaning that the valve could be assembled outside of the reg body. It's big and clunky.
IF you could get parts, it's no more difficult to overhaul than any other reg. IF. An older Sherwood dealer might have parts, or you might call Sherwood and see if they can overhaul it for you. I don't have a number for them, but try information for Lockport, NY. Frankly, I think it'll cost more than it's worth to get this antique in primo condition.
My opinion is that you should not have traded anything of significant value for it. Good new regs are not that expensive. The cheapest balanced reg from any major company is a better performer than this ever was. Hope this wasn't too honest an opinion :) .

Neil

Thanks Niel,
You basically stated what I was trying to confirm. Since I already have all Scubapro gear with the exception of the wet suit (Which I haven't purchased yet), I just curious of the validity of this Sherwood stuff being junk. But if it is, it is... I can live with that. As to why I made the trade: Well, I really wanted to get into diving and a (friend) needed something I had in a hurry. Guess I'm not out too much though. It was just one Microphone and a misc. few cables.
Guess I'll slam this stuff up on Ebay and sell it as an antique then...........lol
After reading what you wrote, I am re-evaluating my thoughts on the dive instructor too. He was being honest, and I guess it's his job to make sure I have good/working gear, that he can service of course.....lol
Since he'll be my dive instructor, I have to trust him. Right?

Anyway..... Thanks...

Don't buy anything from a salesman until you have thoroughly researched the subject via Scuba Board and other sources. I've made plenty of mistakes listening to instructors and diveshop owners.

Don't jump without thinking. That's about as honest as I can say it. Ask all the questions you can think of and keep notes of the answers. Go back to your salesman with your new knowledge and feel him/her out. If s/he's pushy or narrow minded, be very carefull.

Good luck.

Mike

ScubaPro have a good reputation of quality...and of being expensive. You won't be dissapointed from the MK20.

You DO have an antique. It's just like neil said.
Parts are still available for the second stages, (perhaps a good future environmental/metal octopus?), but I'm very doubtful about the first stage.
Zeagle has a serious trade-in/upgrade program going on in which they would give you approximately $200.00, (or more after the deal is made), for this old reg! See their website.
Norm

Back
Top Bottom