Can I get bent in a pool? Terrible pain in my joints.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyxx:
Both Dan and my Dr. ruled out any possibility that this was related to my diving in my pool.
The Doctor still isn't sure what caused this yet but I am leaning toward an intense case of gout. He agreed that this was a possibility.
Prior to this problem I was on a high protein diet, (trying to lose some weight) I lost about 30 lbs. However this high level of Protein in my blood caused an excess of uric acid in my blood. The acid settled in my joints and soft tissue and formed needle-like crystals. This caused the terrible pain & swelling.

I did a lot of research on the internet and drastically changed my diet, cutting out almost all protein, (untilo this is over) the symptoms are almost gone now, no thanks to my HMO.
He made me wait a whole week in agony before he finally referred me to a rhumatologist. He could have done that the same day the first time I saw him. There was only 1 Rhumatologist on out HMO plan and they said they couldn't see me until the end of October. It was like pulling teeth to get the HMO to approve a different Rhumatologist that could see me the next day.

Also too, he told me that it would take a week for the blood tests to come back but the receptionist told me that the test were back the next day. I am changing to a PPO as soon as possible,

I was very dehydrated before, so now I am drinking a lot more water & a lot less Jack & Coke.

Wow. Glad you buckled down and got yourself seen and taken care of. Very glad to hear that you are on the mend. :)

Thanks. Were going to try again at Blue springs next weekend, I hope the visibility is good. Then maybe try Blue Grotto in Williston. My daughter is dying to try out her new regulator.

KCIREVAM:
If it's gout then cherry's or cherry juice could help. FYI it works.!!!!!!!!

I'm eating about 1 cup of cherries in the morning. I'm going to try that and see if it works before I start the meds the Doc prescribed.

Its s good thing I have an office job. I run a drafting department. All I had to do was answer emails and tell my drafters what to do. I would have been up a creek if I worked out in the shop. We dont have any sick days here at work. If you call in sick you lose a vacation day. Not worth staying home.

glad to see that al is well . we all knew it was highly unlikely as the depth and times mixed with nitrox would all point against .

but always safe than sorry .

I really didn't think so either, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask. I havent been diving long enough to know it all. I've read so many wierd experiences here on this forum that I had never imagined could happen. ( jellyfish in your wetsuit...getting snagged by someone fishing.....finding a skeleton in a wetsuit....ect)
I guess it was just a coincident that it happened the very next day after my little pool session.
My wife is not a diver and I still can't convince her that the two are not related. She is ready to sell all my gear on Ebay!!!!

It was surprising to me that there were several responses that said that it was possible to get bent in a pool.

harleyxx:
It was surprising to me that there were several responses that said that it was possible to get bent in a pool.
I don't think it is that surprising.

A friend of mine had the exact same symptoms, which turned out to be a type of acute arthritis that is generally isolated to one episode, and not a permanent condition. Don't know exactly what it was called, but it sounded just like what you harleyxx had. It passed in about a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom