Can I microwave the anti-fog strips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlamboyantDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Heading to Turks & Caico in a day and got the GoPro anti-fog strip just in time (well, Eel-Vision)! I am not sure if I will have access to an oven, would it be possible to microwave the strips to activate them or I have to use an oven?

I just spend 12 days in Central America, did four dives plus another bunch of snorkeling, kayaking and other on-land videos. Had to open the housing maybe 4-5 times to change batteries during the whole trip (only did it indoors, while on A/C).

From the 10 anti-fog inserts that came in the package, used only 6 of them - I was being on the cautious side, I could maybe just have used only 2 pairs and still be ok.

I feel that microwaving them would just melt and fuse the silica, I just grabbed some that I used and microwaved for about 1 minute. They feel drier but I'm not sure if the water is all gone.

if you are staying much longer time and feel like will need them re-activated, I would suggest bringing a piece of aluminum foil so you can make a little "tray" and ask a restaurant to do it for you.

Microwave isn't gonna work. To dry a pack of desiccant, it needs to sit in a hot and dry environment for a longer while. A microwave doesn't provide that.

Thank you so much guys - and toozler for sacrificing a few as test! I will bake a few of them tonight to activate and keep them in the case!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom