Can I test my spg without attaching it to a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reactions: Zef
Why not and what do you use?
A regular wrench. I got the ones I use in my scuba travel bag from the local "junk tool" store called harbor freight for $8/set. You might not have HF in Australia, but surely you must have some store that sells ultra low quality/price tools.

I had one of those multi tools when I first started diving. When I tried to use it on my regulator I found that the wrench part is short in length, and flat but wide. That makes it extremely difficult to get onto the first stage end of a hose. Even more difficult to actually turn the hose once you get it on there. After failing to remove the hose from my first stage, and busting my knuckles up I threw it in the trash.

I think this is the set I have now: Fully Polished SAE Combination Wrench Set, 9 Pc. I am pretty sure I only paid $5 for the set but at $8 it's still under a buck a wrench.

Obviously not quality tools. I expected them to rust up and need annual replacement. However I think my wrenches are about 4 years old now and still look nearly perfect. I keep my scuba tools in a small plastic "sorta dry" box. It's not a nice pelican dry box, just a little cheap plastic box someone gave me.

Here is my setup:

imgur.com

It arrived all together from Deep 6.

I am fairly certain that Deep 6 ensures everything is adjusted correctly before they box it up and send it out. It would still be wise to use it for the first time in a pool or shallow confined water area to test it and ensure there are no issues.

Congrats on your purchase. Happy diving!

-Z

I am fairly certain that Deep 6 ensures everything is adjusted correctly before they box it up and send it out. It would still be wise to use it for the first time in a pool or shallow confined water area to test it and ensure there are no issues.

Congrats on your purchase. Happy diving!

-Z

Thanks. It wasn't sent put together though, I had to do that myself. But I've been looking at youtube videos and I think I'm just overthinking all of this.

I'm kind of surprised that Deep6 didn't ship it assembled.

Screwing the parts together is as simple as it seems.

If you're gonna buy wrenches get yourself some "bicycle wrenches". They're cheap, will rust, not precision instruments, but are very thin (I think that may be like coach told me one time - "son, you're short but you sure can't jump". Handy to fit in the skinny spots - like hose to second stage.

Just a general comment...

I have a lot of regulators and a lot of different setups on which to use them, and I end up swapping hoses around a lot. If there is one thing I learned, it is to pressure test the regulators before showing up at a dive site thinking you are ready to go. You never know when you are going to blow some little o-ring somewhere, and if you find out when you are on the boat with no replacement, you will not be happy.

Just a general comment...

I have a lot of regulators and a lot of different setups on which to use them, and I end up swapping hoses around a lot. If there is one thing I learned, it is to pressure test the regulators before showing up at a dive site thinking you are ready to go. You never know when you are going to blow some little o-ring somewhere, and if you find out when you are on the boat with no replacement, you will not be happy.

Plus have an extra spool with the o-rings installed and pre-lubed in your save-a-dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom