Can Light and TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be very unhappy about that. Do you have any recourse if TSA breaks something? What did you do?
Congress recently voted to allow individual airports to hire private contractors to replace TSA. I strongly encourage everyone who travels to write their congress representative requesting that for your local airports.

I remember the professionalism of pre 9/11 airport security. How is this better?

I flew Tucson - Cancun and back in June and put all my heavy stuff, including can light, in my carry-on. I was a bit nervous because of inconsistent rules and the inconsistent application of those rules by airport screening personnel both TSA and abroad, but had no problems. TSA did pull me out to open my carry-on in Tucson; nothing on the way back in Cancun. Unfortunately, I think what happens is more dependent on the screener you get than what the rules are. I fly a lot and many of the TSA folk are polite and professional, but many are rude and officious.

Congress recently voted to allow individual airports to hire private contractors to replace TSA. I strongly encourage everyone who travels to write their congress representative requesting that for your local airports.

Welcome to 2002.

Are you willing to pay increased security fees each time you visit the airport? Do you want your community tax dollars paying an airport contactor? Why not just let the Feds handle it and keep local tax dollars for local issues like schools, and you benefit by having a level security/airport fee of $12.50 per ticket.

I believe it was Orlando Sanford that got all the media time for using the SPP program and jumping out on their own during the big AIT news drama. I believe the airport was on the verge of bankruptcy 4-weeks later and they crawled back to the federally funded option very quietly. The fact is that smaller cities/communities know they can't afford the airport, and Congresspersons aren't going to take federal jobs with healthcare and retirement benefits away from their workforce. It sounds good on paper, but don't waste the toner or a stamp. And what Congressperson wants to be the one that converted an airport and that just so happens to be the entry point of terrorism. It's a non-starter, but fun to talk about.

I remember the professionalism of pre 9/11 airport security. How is this better?

The goal of government is not to improve, but to add layers and make jobs for cronies. It has been fairly successful in doing that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom