Can Light and TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
FAA (US governing body) and IATA (International Governing) do not allow checking lithium batteries, so if you're flying INTO the US, you cannot check a lithium light. Since every US airline requires you to carry on lithium, you see the issue here....

Just to be clear, that applies to "loose" lithium batteries, not batteries installed in equipment:

Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices | Transportation Security Administration

My reading is that you can check your lithium battery-powered devices so long as the battery is installed in it rather than separately packed. I believe the perceived danger is sparking at the terminals.

Just be aware that there is no consistency to the policies regarding lights.

We have traveled all over the world with our can lights. Typically, we check the canister and battery (and we have the Airspeed Press labels on the batteries) and we carry on the light heads. This has worked for us most places, but coming home from Egypt, we ran into a couple of inspectors in Amsterdam who insisted that the lightheads could be used as weapons, and we had to gate check the bags. Our dive buddies, about ten people behind us in line, were waved through by the same inspectors, with their light heads in their carry on bags.

because you & peter look like such ruffians...

our experience was no hassles going *to* mx with our lights in carry-on, and hassle coming back for larry but not for me. who knows why? mine was in a different spot in my dive caddy, and they pointed to my turtle pack (larry's had been in his turtle pack) and asked me if my light was in there. i told them 'no' but withheld the info that it was in another part of the pack, which had gone through the xray and if they weren't concerned two seconds ago why should i give them cause for concern now? anyway, larry held politely but firmly to the 'the us says i can't check this battery', the inspector called over a supervisor who said to let him go through, the inspector was also polite the whole time, so it ended up ok.

Some times it seems that TSA really stands for "Terrorists Strike Again!". Sure, I am careful not to breathe a word of that sedition around them as I go through security, but they are a terror in and of themselves. The less I have to deal with them up front and personal the better my mood remains. That's why I check everything I can. So far, no problems in my travels.

She said ruffians! (snicker)

Leaving Coz in early May, the board at luggage check-in specified "No dive lights in carry-on luggage", as well as "no batteries in carry-on luggage". So everything got checked leaving Coz. Then as we got our luggage before going through US Customs, I moved my can light from Checked to Carry-on in order to comply with US TSA rules.

When I bought my can light, the person in the shop suggested that I keep an old product catalog, and wrap the removed battery in the catalog open to the page with the can lights. I have both carried on and checked my can light, and have not have any problems. Though I've never been to Mexico.

I do always keep all of the parts in the same bag, close to each other.

One time I checked my Halcyon can light in a Pelican case. I was careful to make sure that the battery was reversed so that the light connections were in the dummy holes. Also the lid was also not latched, and the whole light fit snugly in the case.

When I got home I discovered one of those TSA inspection notices in the Pelican case. Apparently TSA had opened my Pelican case, connected the battery, latched the lid, and tested the light.

The problem was that they had left the light turned ON - or maybe they had left the battery connected and the light got switched back ON. Anyway, the light head was a melted pile of goo inside of the Pelican case. The bulb was ruined. And the battery would not charge anymore. :shakehead:

Now I always hand carry my can light.

One time I checked my Halcyon can light in a Pelican case. I was careful to make sure that the battery was reversed so that the light connections were in the dummy holes. Also the lid was also not latched, and the whole light fit snugly in the case.

When I got home I discovered one of those TSA inspection notices in the Pelican case. Apparently TSA had opened my Pelican case, connected the battery, latched the lid, and tested the light.

The problem was that they had left the light turned ON - or maybe they had left the battery connected and the light got switched back ON. Anyway, the light head was a melted pile of goo inside of the Pelican case. The bulb was ruined. And the battery would not charge anymore. :shakehead:

Now I always hand carry my can light.

I would be very unhappy about that. Do you have any recourse if TSA breaks something? What did you do?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom