Can light vs "as bright as ___" other primary lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I normally dive with a Salvo/Light Monkey 21watt HID. I hear about or I'm shown other non canister lights at dive shows etc that are "as bright as" or brighter than can lights. These lights are often very expensive too. Now my backup light is a dive rite LED 700 that's supposed to be equivalent to a 10 watt and I have various Intova lights for tertiary backups that are supposed to be 3 watt or 4.7 watts. I've never had HID equivalents or LED equivalents to compare to but recently on a boat someone mentioned that their hand held light was the equivalent of my light without the battery life. Has anyone actually compared a canister light to an "equivalent" handheld light underwater? I see above water shot comparisons but it's hard to really tell how effective a light is underwater by that.

I guess I'm wondering why someone would purchase a 600 dollar hand held that's heavy and you have to hold onto over a canister light that isn't that much more expensive, has a goodman handle, and has superior battery unless the light itself really is brighter.

I really love my light, and wrote a short review of it after purchase. Many of the other tech guys around here have them, albeit they prefer the 25 watt version, which is significantly brighter than mine (like crazy bright on full power).

I would buy it again without hesitation. I love not having cables to deal with; bulbs to change, marine connection, light output.... It's also not that heavy on the hand.

Here's my review: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/339192-scula-hydro-light-review.html

But have you tried a canister light of equivalent power? How do they compare? Do you clip off the light somewhere when not in use? If you are holding the light, what do you do when you have to use both hands?

normally dive with a Salvo/Light Monkey 21watt HID. I hear about or I'm shown other non canister lights at dive shows etc that are "as bright as" or brighter than can lights. These lights are often very expensive too. Now my backup light is a dive rite LED 700 that's supposed to be equivalent to a 10 watt and I have various Intova lights for tertiary backups that are supposed to be 3 watt or 4.7 watts. I've never had HID equivalents or LED equivalents to compare to but recently on a boat someone mentioned that their hand held light was the equivalent of my light without the battery life. Has anyone actually compared a canister light to an "equivalent" handheld light underwater? I see above water shot comparisons but it's hard to really tell how effective a light is underwater by that.

I guess I'm wondering why someone would purchase a 600 dollar hand held that's heavy and you have to hold onto over a canister light that isn't that much more expensive, has a goodman handle, and has superior battery unless the light itself really is brighter.

Main difference is that canister lamp have battery pack stored in canister as name says an handheld lamps you just hold in hand
and that's it point .... to your question

Both types of these lamps can have complete different light source , light optics , drivers , battery pack..... bla bla bla.

Other reason is what you do wit that lamp ? You need in rig as DIR divers , just snorkling , shows your money in front of others ...depends

You dive hand free or you want to hold lap ... if you have hand held torch you have to hold some weigt

How long dives you made , type of dive day, night ,....cave , bla , bla , bla

TRUE comparasion :

- light source (halogen , HID,LED)
- light beam (spot , wide )
- beam colour (warm , cold )
- beam penetration

-------------------------------------
- power consumption (depends of light source effciency and battery type)
- type of optics (reflector or lens ; reflector have 98-99% effciency , lens cca 89%)
- driver (efficiency of driver ....calculate power consumption )
- battery type - density of current(depends of type NICd, NiMh. LiPO , LiFe, LiMn, PBGel , alakaline( ZnMnC)

-----------------------------------------------------------
- SERVICE
- BRAND NAME

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but most important is BEAM

I have not tried a canister of equivalent power. However, my dive buddy did have an equivalent canister. The light head was smaller, but that didn't make up for the fact that, overall his system took up significantly more real estate than mine. The cord to the battery was an issue for him at times (getting caught on things). I don't remember if his light was any brighter, or threw a better pattern than mine. He now owns a Scula.

I just leave the light on my hand for the duration of the dive. I've never had a reason to clip it off, but should I, there is a built-in clip at the butt end of the light. Clip off to shoulder or hip, which ever you prefer.

When I have to use both hands.......I just use both hands. As I said, I've never needed to clip it off. I bought the light when I started Advanced EANx/Deco classes. Despite doing a ton of skills, the light never got in the way.

Sounds like you need to beg/borrow a light from someone to evaluate them for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom