Can someone get stuck in a giant sea clam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've pulled abs before with no iron by sneaking up on them and getting a few fingers under the mouth when they are foraging and quickly yanking them off the rock before they have a chance to do anything.
I've heard though that even if they do clamp down you can pull hard and actually pull the shell off the meat if you have to.
Big rock scallops scare me more than abs. I've had then snap down hard and fast causing some serious pain on my fingers.
The only thing to enter a scallop shell now is my dive knife.
If an 8" rock scallop can cause havoc I can only imaging what a giant clam could do and how strong th
ey would be. I theoretically do believe they could trap a diver drowning them.

I've managed to get the Abs by hand without issue, but my buddy John had two incidents, the first he pulled off the shell and the second he came up with his fingers still trapped and about a cubic foot of rock attached to the Ab. I never laughed so much in my life.

With scallops I'm still a Neanderthal and take the whole shell as I can keep it fresher longer as I will not be going on a three day trip if I don't bring back the goods. They really don't like being opened once they shut.

As for giant clams, I don't think I'll be seeing them unless I'm diving off the Farralons around where they dumped the nuclear waste and am in a SciFi movie.

Bob

I guess this a good example of a very hungry giant "CLAMU" !!!

Be care full this one was spotted off of Nor Cal.

[video=youtube;nZ8I1r8N-6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ8I1r8N-6k[/video]

Frank G

I don't know why, but when I watched this video I got this weird vibe.... I guess there is something Freudian going on with them...

[video=youtube;YpsJRGr-who]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsJRGr-who[/video]

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 02:23 PM ----------

Of course giant clams are an ongoing menace..... Especially once they mastered inter-dimensional teleportation.

[video=youtube;PkjMwVDOY9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkjMwVDOY9k[/video]

Last edited:
Just remember you don't have to outswim the clam just your dive buddy.............:D

Of course once out of the water, all bets are off.... sbd67fxh.jpg

I've pulled abs before with no iron by sneaking up on them and getting a few fingers under the mouth when they are foraging and quickly yanking them off the rock before they have a chance to do anything.
I've heard though that even if they do clamp down you can pull hard and actually pull the shell off the meat if you have to.
Big rock scallops scare me more than abs. I've had then snap down hard and fast causing some serious pain on my fingers.
The only thing to enter a scallop shell now is my dive knife.
If an 8" rock scallop can cause havoc I can only imaging what a giant clam could do and how strong they would be. I theoretically do believe they could trap a diver drowning them.
Atlantic Deep Sea Scallops snap closed fast as well, so you pick them up from the valve hinge side or touch them to get them closed.

I have never seen anyone get stuck in our clams here...and we get some pretty large ones, up to 3-4 feet across.

But if a diver is "smart" enough to get their leg stuck in one perhaps they are the perfect candidate to be removed from our gene pool.

funny-scuba-diving-instructor.jpg

Atlantic Deep Sea Scallops snap closed fast as well, so you pick them up from the valve hinge side or touch them to get them closed.
The thing about rock scallops is more times than not one side is permanently cemented to the rock where they live their lives out. Whatever calcite they use could be patented as adhesive cement better than JB Weld. They open up to feed which is evident by their "smile" when they are slightly open to feed. Scallops have a row of little eyes that sense light and movement. Once they sense something is off they slam shut to guard against predators. The outer shells have all sorts of growth on them including tunicates, sponges, anemones, etc, so when they close they all but disappear completely under their own camouflage. I've spotted them, then looked away to get my knife, and when I look back they're gone.
Once, I was cruising along a wall and was trying to stabilize myself in the surge. I must have inadvertently touched an open scallop because the next thing I know something had my finger. I thought it was an eel or something, scared the crap out of me. I got my finger loose but it had my glove and wouldn't let go. I was able to get my knife and slide it into the crack and pry it open enough to get my glove out. It turned the end of my finger nail black, but I got my revenge with a wok pan and some butter and garlic.

I don't know why, but when I watched this video I got this weird vibe.... I guess there is something Freudian going on with them...

[video=youtube;YpsJRGr-who]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpsJRGr-who[/video]

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 02:23 PM ----------

Of course giant clams are an ongoing menace..... Especially once they mastered inter-dimensional teleportation.

[video=youtube;PkjMwVDOY9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkjMwVDOY9k[/video]

Terribly Good! Almost as good as "Sharknado".

Almost forgot to mention another great reason to wear split fins, I here giant clams absolutely hate them!!!

Back
Top Bottom