Can wetsuits be altered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supernal:
Hi there, I've seen some wetsuits for women on eBay (new for about $50) that would fit me but they would be too long in the arms and legs. Can they be altered? I'd really like to save some money here.

Absolutely.

If you're handy with a needle and thread and wetsuit cement that sort of project is very doable. Neoprene cement is a multi coat cement that dries to the touch between coats, it's a varriation of contact cement. If you shorten limbs you may need to open the side seam for a ways to refit the taper for a good close fit.

I've tweaked some hoods and it's really not that hard. Take a peek in the DIY forum.

I should add that some of the custom houses you find in this forum will take items in for professional alterations too.

Pete

Your local wetsuit manufacturer would be able to alter the wetsuit for you, but keep in mind, it runs about $75 to $100 for it to be done. You might as well find one that fits your body type off the rack. Typically, thin body frames, women like O'neil; for curvy body types: Body Glove X2. Good luck.

Supernal, I don't know what your financial situation is, but if altering a suit does not work out for ya I would buy a newer wetsuit with the stretch neoprene. I think every manufacturer out there now makes one....They are the best. I have a Harvey's one piece 5mm Flex suit and I love it to death.....

I see the countdown til your class starts...good luck with that and enjoy...

Here in the Philippines I have heard of only one guy that does it. He also makes custom fit wetsuits.

The main problem I found, when I tried to do it myself, and failed, is that funky stitching on the ends of the arms and legs. They are stitched back and forth in such a way that they can still stretch. I sewed mine the normal way and ended up with a cuff that wouldnt stretch.

My very first wetsuit was a custom fit body glove that I got from some beach in California. Dont remember if it was Redondo or Venice or what.

If you use Melco tape (an iron-on seam tape) you can eliminate the need for sewing, which greatly simplifies things.

Usually, buying a suit that will need alterations is not going to be cost effective unless you can do it yourself or got the suit for nothing or almost nothing. And this can be harder than it looks, as one seemingly simple change can effect the fit elsewhere.

Take a look at Superior Drysuit Repair (yes they do wetsuit alterations also)

http://www.drysuitrepair.com

click on the ALTERATIONS tab on the left

I've had custom suits altered by the original maker and I know of others who have as well. It's not always cheap, but I've been happy with the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom