Solved: Can you add a frown/unhappy face option to “like”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is it possible to add a frown or unhappy :( face to the choices under “like?” Sometimes I want to acknowledge a post but if it is about something that is not good (coral disease in Bonaire) it seems wrong to “like” it. And the other choices work even less well.

This may need to be it’s own suggestion thread, and put to a vote, but I think that the Disagree face needs to be replaced with the avatar that @letterboy uses. It just has that “feel” to it.

This may need to be it’s own suggestion thread, and put to a vote, but I think that the Disagree face needs to be replaced with the avatar that @letterboy uses. It just has that “feel” to it.
It is the best, just like me.

I'm the bestest best SB poster ever.

It would be a great plug in for xenforo to have different smilies for different forums...

Disagree face needs to be replaced

Replacing existing "Reactions" is problematic because it would change the intent of the existing cases where it was used. It is possible to add one.

Doesn’t work since I may agree with the post. In my example, the post essentially states that because of current SCTLD will spread despite diver precautions. I don’t “like” this statement but I do agree with it.

What would you use for the tooltip? Would "Sad" work?

ScubaBoardReactions.gif

I like that suggestion. I may agree with a post but it makes me sad. So just a simple unhappy smiley would do.:crying: but in yellow. The blue "crying" is just too extreme...sad comes before crying.

Replacing existing "Reactions" is problematic because it would change the intent of the existing cases where it was used. It is possible to add one.

View attachment 735547
If it is agreed, I think “sad” would most closely convey my intent.

I’ve run into the same issue when someone posts the detailed story of a death or other tragedy. I want to show appreciation for the informative post, without coming across as liking that somebody died.

Thinking back, we considered a "Sad" reaction but were concerned that some might use it to mean "Pathetic" rather than "it makes me sad". "Unhappy" could mean you are unhappy with the poster rather than the news or information. The right tooltip is as or more important than the icon.

It is important to be very careful and take time to look at this from different perspectives. Aside from the English language using the same word to mean many different things, not everyone is a native English speaker. We can't change or delete a Reaction once introduced without making a huge mess.

Also, remember to up or downvote this suggestion to help us gauge the interest.

Thinking back, we considered a "Sad" reaction but were concerned that some might use it to mean "Pathetic" rather than "it makes me sad". "Unhappy" could mean you are unhappy with the poster rather than the news or information. The right tooltip is as or more important than the icon.
Can the tooltip be "I'm sad"? Does it have to be just one word?

It is important to be very careful and take time to look at this from different perspectives. Aside from the English language using the same word to mean many different things, not everyone is a native English speaker. We can't change or delete a Reaction once introduced without making a huge mess.

Also, remember to up or downvote this suggestion to help us gauge the interest.
I’m sure I’m not thinking of every possible interpretation of the word, but using Sorrow for the tool tip might be an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom