Can you dive with a tampon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IowaDiver:
I use a new product called "Instead". You can get it in where you buy the tampons. It is a plastic ring which stores the flow for you. For me, it works far better.

I've used my Milex wide-seal diaphragm for flow control. That will work well for up to 4 hours for me. There is no problm with squeeze as Instead and a contraceptive diaphragm will flatten against the vaginal wall. A small very soft silicone cervical cap, Oves, works well for upper reproductive tract protection while diving between periods.

I just started on Depo Provera. It's a shot taken once every 3 months. It puts your ovaries at rest and therefore...no periods!!! My doc tells me it is actually birth control but since I have my tubes tied that's not a factor for me. She put me on this stuff as an alternative to having a hysterectomy (I have extremely heaving periods and I would get them every 3 weeks...sometimes less time). So far so good....no side effects for me and so far no bleeding. Sure will make it nice for diving!

I dive with tampons...though I use a size bigger than I normally do so I can stay down longer without worrying. I've had no problems.

omg, voluntarily not getting your period for MONTHS at a time? That sounds so unhealthy and unnatural, yikes! Of course I hate my period as much as the next gal, but I can't believe that in the long run those pills wouldn't give you any negative side effects :11:

And yes, I wear tampons while diving. Never gave it a second thought :)

Xena Warrior- no problem with putting a halt to the periods for months at a time. Heck, a lot of the female residents that I went through training with just put themselves on oral contraceptives & skipped the placebo weeks to keep their periods away. Talk to your gynecologist...not at all an unhealthy or dangerous practice. My wife loves being period-free!

Well hell, it sounds great! I will talk to gynecologist about it on my next visit. I take regular birth control pills, but if I can avoid getting my period for months at a time with no harmful side effects, then I'm all for it :)

I don't mind diving during that time of the month though. Do guys find that disgusting :wink:?

Xena Warrior Diver:
....I don't mind diving during that time of the month though. Do guys find that disgusting :wink:?

No.

Most guys don't know and the rest don't care.

My wife and I don't let 'the curse' interfere with dive trips and she's never voiced any discomfort. Speaking for myself, I simply don't care.

Originally Posted by Xena Warrior Diver
....I don't mind diving during that time of the month though. Do guys find that disgusting ?

Why, of course I do !!!
I force her out of the teepee and make her stay in a special lodge until the moon cycle has gone .. . .
Just kidding . . . no, she sleeps in the same bed with me during her period. I think being cooped up in a wetsuit would be just a tad more "sanitary" I think the word is.

Thanks for all your replies. But my original question remains: Anybody got scientific evidence (rather than personal opinion) as to the safety of diving with a tampon?

Back
Top Bottom