Can you help me ID these fishes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
These photos are taken in Similan Islands, Thailand (Andaman Sea) and even with a thick fish guide, I have not found them.

The first one is "braincoral" patterned and the other (bottom of photo) has yellow spots and a larger spot in front of the tail. They are both about 30 cm (1 ft).

Anyone know what they are? Thanks for your help.

IMGP1177.jpg

IMGP1183.jpg

I'm afraid it's been a while since I've dived the Andaman Sea off Thailand so I won't be of any help other than to suggest the following:

One, it is always a good idea to identify the region your subject is from to avoid having SoCal kelp forest biologists like myself from looking at the thread to try to help.

Two, for many of the photographers here on SB (including myself) it is usually helpful to submit butt shots of the fish in question. After all, this is what most of us end up taking!

Just teasing ya, Maggy. Good luck getting a proper ID.

DrBill, thanks for answering anyway. I was thinking about posting it on the region forum. If no one can help me here, I'll do that.

Are you serious about that it's easier to identify a fish from behind, or is it my english that sucks :D

These are taking while snorkeling, as I am new to diving (13 logged dives) so i need a bit more experience before I start taking photos when I am diving.

Maggy

Top photo most resembles Siganus Vermiculatus, or Vermiculate Rabbitfish (common name given in Humann et al Tropical Pacific Reef Fish ID book.

Bottom photo most resembles Siganus Guttatus (spot at tail is notable feature), or Golden Rabbitfish in the Humann et al book. Also called Spotted Rabbitfish in the Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide.

Top photo most resembles Siganus Vermiculatus, or Vermiculate Rabbitfish (common name given in Humann et al Tropical Pacific Reef Fish ID book.
I'll take your word for it :D.

Bottom photo most resembles Siganus Guttatus (spot at tail is notable feature), or Golden Rabbitfish in the Humann et al book. Also called Spotted Rabbitfish in the Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide.
Mahalo, I see it now.

ok this is rambling...I wasn't verbose enough above.

Manuel Sam - thanks!!!

I guess you are absolutely right. I have the same fish guide book (Humann etc Reef fish identification guide Tropical Pacific. Actually when I went to bed last night (just after writing my question) I reread the guide for the twelfth time, and then I found the first one (vermiculate rabbitfish) and now I found the other one as well.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom