Can you identify this moray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnS323

Registered
Reaction score
Stumbled on this thread trying to ID an eel that I recently purchased that I believe to be mis-id'd. Any thoughts you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

P6222973s.jpg

if I understood right, John bought it. So I guess he has it in his aquarium?

The wrong ID was given as a Dwarf Golden Moray. Missing the stripe in the eye for that, if I'm not mistaken.

This eel is approximately 12-15". The previous owner had him for 2 years. The owner before that may have had him for up to 3. He's grown less than 3 inches in the last two years.

Looks like a Golden Yellow Moray (Gymnothorax miliaris) from Brazil

But I could be wrong, Wouldn't be the first time :D

Being all yellow like that is rare. But it can have brown spots anywhere on its body (ie around eyes, on back.

JohnS323:
He's grown less than 3 inches in the last two years.

Interesting...do they grow to fit in their surroundings? Like Bonsai?...a bonsai eel....lol:wink:

That Yellow Golden Moray is the closest that I've seen in color (bright banana yellow) and the eye also looks strikingly similar down the the seriously yellow eye color. I guess I can count on his ultimate size being between 24" & 30" then. Thanks for your help! Wonder how fast they grow...

Back
Top Bottom