Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really want to learn try this movie about Navy researchers diving in the Salton Sea in Southern California! Now here is where and how you can learn a lot it has it from 1957!

monsterthatchallengedtheworld.jpg

The Monster that Challenged the World

Gotta agree 100%, Phil -

While the OP may be a dweeb, he did a GREAT job - all posts were civil, for the most part, and he got people to generate 12 pages of drivel - outstanding!

To the OP, a gentle reminder - and I think you will know exactly what I mean - most "second acts" flop....

dweeb (dwēb)
n. Slang
A person regarded as socially inept or foolish, often on account of being overly studious.

Sweetness, I am not socially inept (although I do have a Ph.D., therefore I may be overly studious.) I will therefore consent to being called dweeb-ish.

Glad you liked the second act. I enjoyed all the advice I received from the many wonderful respondents. :crafty:

Bulletproof monk isn't a documentary, but a fictional movie.

Your chances of learning to dive while watching TV is nonexistent.

perdidochas, [begin rebreather sounds] I find your lack of faith disturbing [end rebreather sounds]. Bulletproof Monk was the inspirational story of the triumph of the human spirit in the face of evil and adversity. Note that, as indicated below, evil:

are the ones with the black wet suits. The good guys always have light colored wet suits.

In Bulletproof Monk the evil ones also wear black.

I will learn to dive from tv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedebinator
I;ll tell you what- watch a whole bunch of martial arts movies (all you can get your hands on) then go fight a 9th or 10th degree black belt using only the knowledge you got from watching movies on tv- then after you get out of the hospital tell me if you think it was a good idea

Quote:
Tell ya what - I have sparred against some Tae Kwon Do folks - once I got them on the ground, they started calling for the ref (who was not there). Heh...

Of couse they were LOL the were TKD people- I am talking about guys like Grand Master Mike Pick, and Tony Cogliandro- These are EPAK guys-we train for Combat (true self defense) not sport

Quote:
I;ll tell you what- watch a whole bunch of martial arts movies (all you can get your hands on) then go fight a 9th or 10th degree black belt using only the knowledge you got from watching movies on tv- then after you get out of the hospital tell me if you think it was a good idea

I don't know--it seems pretty easy to me. All you need to do is jump straight up in the air about 10 feet and then spin in circles kicking in all directions, land, do a backflip over the guy coming up behind you, etc. That seems pretty simple.

That is especially true because in watching martial arts on TV I have learned that the bad guys never carry guns, and if there is a whole bunch of them, most of them will stand around patiently waiting for their turn to attack you. Sometimes they will attack in pairs, but if so they will do it symmetrically so that you can handle them in one move. With your enemies being so cooperative, how can you lose?

Quote:

Quote:
Tell ya what - I have sparred against some Tae Kwon Do folks - once I got them on the ground, they started calling for the ref (who was not there). Heh...

Of couse they were LOL the were TKD people- I am talking about guys like Grand Master Mike Pick, and Tony Cogliandro- These are EPAK guys-we train for Combat (true self defense) not sport

My money is on Want2div !!!

Back
Top Bottom