Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:I;ll tell you what- watch a whole bunch of martial arts movies (all you can get your hands on) then go fight a 9th or 10th degree black belt using only the knowledge you got from watching movies on tv- then after you get out of the hospital tell me if you think it was a good idea :rofl3:

But seriously, I personally would not attempt any sport or hobby that could possibly lead to pain, injury or illness if not done correctly with out proper instruction, and lots and LOTS of practice.

In that episode the orca kills two people and attacks numerous small boats. Fortunately Lloyd Bridges finds a guy with a harpoon gun and they hunt and kill it. Whew, what a relief!

Those old shows indicate that there is something far more deadly than orcas in the ocean.

Whenever you go in the water, there will be some villain hiding in the kelp waiting to come out and cut your regulator hose. Fortunately, those shows teach us that we can tell who they are before they attack. They are the ones with the black wet suits. The good guys always have light colored wet suits.

(BTW, in an inteview, Lloyd Bridges explained that the coloring was true. The producers said you could not have the good guys wearing black. Lloyd and friends had their wet suts painted silver.)

In that episode the orca kills two people and attacks numerous small boats. Fortunately Lloyd Bridges finds a guy with a harpoon gun and they hunt and kill it. Whew, what a relief!

As you can all see YOU CAN learn diving from the TV!!!

Awesome info for the new diver, EastEnd! Keep it cuming - I love it!

:rofl3:I;ll tell you what- watch a whole bunch of martial arts movies (all you can get your hands on) then go fight a 9th or 10th degree black belt using only the knowledge you got from watching movies on tv- then after you get out of the hospital tell me if you think it was a good idea :rofl3:

Tell ya what - I have sparred against some Tae Kwon Do folks - once I got them on the ground, they started calling for the ref (who was not there). Heh...

[The villains] are the ones with the black wet suits. The good guys always have light colored wet suits.

Darn, this is good stuff - very helpful to the new aspiring diver. Can one discriminate between between harmful and benign sealife based on colours as well. I mean - the producers must have been modeling art after life, no?

Darn, this is good stuff - very helpful to the new aspiring diver. Can one discriminate between between harmful and benign sealife based on colours as well. I mean - the producers must have been modeling art after life, no?

Geez of course you can didn't you see the post from Boulder about the bad guys wearing black and a Killer Whale is black!! Sharks are grey.....could be good or bad.See you can learn from TV!!! Art does imitate life.

Gotta agree 100%, Phil -

While the OP may be a dweeb, he did a GREAT job - all posts were civil, for the most part, and he got people to generate 12 pages of drivel - outstanding!

To the OP, a gentle reminder - and I think you will know exactly what I mean - most "second acts" flop....

Geez of course you can didn't you see the post from Boulder about the bad guys wearing black and a Killer Whale is black!! Sharks are grey.....could be good or bad.See you can learn from TV!!! Art does imitate life.

Wait a minute!!! What about the great WHITE shark? Isn't he dangerous?... and white?...and great but that has nothing to do with it.

Wait a minute!!! What about the great WHITE shark? Isn't he dangerous?... and white?...and great but that has nothing to do with it.

You do have a point there.Lets look at it this way...he is grey.possibly good or bad,he has a white underbelly ................HA I just figured it out he is wearing a disguise!!! Yes the white is to trick us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom