Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Would Jacques Do?

Did Cousteau use a BP, BP/w, or BCD? Which is the best option for practice when first learning scuba?:D

That's not possible... Trolling is against TOS.

Thanks for the support, Dave. I understand carrielsal's sentiments (somewhat), but everyone, please remember that we all have different learning styles. Some learn by hearing, some by writing/transcribing. Some learn by reading words off a page. A few can learn through the careful emulation of a noted expert/master of a given discipline. A gifted subset of this group can learn by emulation, but can learn several styles through the emulation of more than one master. I feel that I fall into this last category.

After considerable research, I have decided to make it my goal to master and emulate to gifted scuba practitioners: Jacques-Yves Cousteau and George Irvine III.

Wish me luck - I am off to the local library to borrow some videos, invigorated and replete with enthusiasm as a freshly-gorged mosquito.

Last edited:
After considerable research, I have decided to make it my goal to master and emulate to gifted scuba practitioners: Yves Cousteau and George Irvine III.

I'm pretty sure Thal tried that and you see how he ended up. :wink:

Thanks for the support, Dave. I understand carrielsal's sentiments (somewhat), but everyone, please remember that we all have different learning styles. Some learn by hearing, some by writing/transcribing. Some learn by reading words off a page. A few can learn through the careful emulation of a noted expert/master of a given discipline. A gifted subset of this group can learn by emulation, but can learn several styles through the emulation of more than one master. I feel that I fall into this last category.

After considerable research, I have decided to make it my goal to master and emulate to gifted scuba practitioners: Jacques-Yves Cousteau and George Irvine III.

Wish me luck - I am off to the local library to borrow some videos, invigorated and replete with enthusiasm as a freshly-gorged mosquito.

Not sure, but this seems somewhat contradictory. Jacques likely has more bottom time, but if you've seen ANY of the GUE vids, GI3 is clearly a top.

They don't start getting really expensive 'till ya manifold 10 of them together to make a "usable" amount of air.

How many do you really need? That cave diver on youtube seemed to do fine with only one spare air... I am not interested in cave diving myself, but if he trusts it, why shouldn't I?

How many do you really need? That cave diver on youtube seemed to do fine with only one spare air... I am not interested in cave diving myself, but if he trusts it, why shouldn't I?

:angrymob:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom