Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone handed me a to do list that included a review of this thread as it has apparently been receiving continued interest.

Gotta love how it goes from the OPs note to those who are weight challenged to those who are physically challenged to technical vs recreational joggers to those who may or may not follow the code of chivalry . . . Gosh I love SB!!!

Great debates. Safe diving everyone!

:hijack: sorry can't resist.. that is because you are not a technical Jogger:rofl3: If you don't keep your arms moving properly you waste energy, your stride needs to ensure you land right so you don't wast energy or put stress on the joints unevenly. The Shoes need to suit the surface you are jogging on. Your breathing needs to be timed correctly with your strides. A technically correct jogger and a recreational jogger can be as different as a brand new diver is from a technical diver:rofl3:

If you make it back this way again... it would be great to meet you! Has Sas told you about Invade the Rock?:D

You're right. I'm not a technical jogger. I'm not even a PADI jogger. I'm a DSD jogger, tearing up the pavement and destroying all in my wake, rushing headlong to see the next lampost (as if anyone could outrun a lampost!).

But I have a question? Can Technical Joggers run backwards? :D

I should be back your way in a few months. I normally stop over at both Melbourne and Sydney so perhaps I can bother both of you in one fell swoop. I haven't heard about invade the rock - what and when is it? Be great to meet you too and apologise in person for my ranting & rambling posts :)

J

Someone handed me a to do list that included a review of this thread as it has apparently been receiving continued interest.

Gotta love how it goes from the OPs note to those who are weight challenged to those who are physically challenged to technical vs recreational joggers to those who may or may not follow the code of chivalry . . . Gosh I love SB!!!

Great debates. Safe diving everyone!

:worship: we were trying to lighten it up a bit:rofl3:

Wasn't this thread consigned to Whine and Cheeze or the Surface Interval when I was following it before I went to Canada a fortnight ago? I obviously have some catching up to do!

For me, I guess what makes a diver is not whether they can haul their gear or not. Or what the car smells like. But, who ever sets the gear up for a diver, the diver themself should be able to check that it is fully functioning and will keep them alive in the Big Blue. And, when they are down there, they should be able to operate competently in a buddy partnership, and be aware and open about any limitations which mean that they should be part of a team, not a pair.

I guess that awareness of limitations is part of what makes a diver. Am I a diver? Getting there. In the meantime, for my fellow underwater tourists.. no worries, go see, go enjoy, but be honest and recognise that we have limits...

Last edited:
listen, lay off the guy who started the thread: he just wanted to get new divers thinking about their role when it comes to working with other people.
i think the term "real diver" is a little misused but nevermind.
ive been diving for over 3 years and i have to admit i sucked at first. it doesnt come easy for everyone and you dont need a private instructor. i just turned to my instructor or my dive buddy and asked them for some tips.
everyone have to start somewhere right?
but seriously, your dive buddy,whether its just a random guy you met in a dive club or your wife for over 10 years, you have to make sure you dont impose on them TOO much or you might spoil their fun.
i haul my own gear and help others with theirs, but because thats what friends do.
i usually rent gear from the clubs i go to and i dont have a car yet.

This thread rocks!!! I haven't laughed and cried this much in a while.

Holy Jesus did somebody open up a can of worms...

I love diving with newbies because they make me laugh. I always offer a helping hand because I don't like seeing people get all freaked out. But remember, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing at what you're doing!

Keep this thing rolling...:popcorn:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread closed per request of OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom