Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is generally what its like here too unfortunately. Divers get a shock when they're told where the tanks are and are expected to set the gear up themselves and some look shocked when they're asked to load it onto a trolley ready for boat loading.

I hate guided dives when im a customer but without them here i can guarantee there'd be a huge number of fatalities as most of the divers are incapable of navigating to their exit point, monitoring their own depth, air or time or anything else. A large number of divers are completely reliant on their guide.

Half the problem IS the guided dive culture to start with - people emerge from courses expecting to have a nanny with them and as a result aren't practiced in actually conducting their own dive at all. Its not a good state of affairs at all but its the way things are in lots of places.

....honestly though, it's not always the customer's fault when they show up at a new (to them anyway) dive shop/boat/site/country and are taken aback by the unexpected, ie. that they will have to 'work' to go diving. Dive ops are hungry for business and will rarely point out the realities of diving with them.....so customers have a mistaken (and overly favorable/completely biased towards the dive op) expectation of their pending dive experience...I suspect dive ops wouldn't 'suffer' from being graced by 'powderpuff' guest divers if the dive industry wasn't smothered in wonderful hyperbole! I rarely see dive op ads promenently displaying their 'negatives' ( raging currents...poor vis......no DM leading dives.....schlepp your own gear all over the place....recommended for advanced divers only...you get the idea) Dive ops won't promote/volunteer...up front....these factors, to screen out the 'powderpuffs'....after all, they still love the 'powderpuffs' $$$ !!! ...to a substantial extent, this 'annoyance' at dealing with high-maintaniance/ unworthy divers is a self-inflected injury...the dive industry brings this on themselves !

I would suggest it is the tone of the "helpful advice" that will determine how they are received! I find that if you approach with... "Have you ever tried doing this.. or doing it this way or can I help you with X" Is well received by virtually everyone. They can say.. yes I have and it didn't work for me.. or open the door for more discussion.

I think joggers are a genuine exception to anyrule a) it's a kinda weird thing to do :blinking: and b) how many ways can you get people to jog? Keeping walking, but faster.

as for Sas - I'll say no more but that she's a great person and wonderful to dive with. I hope I have many more dives, kelp, big eyed cuttlefish, multiple gang banging blue ringed Octopus - I could go on but Jeez, this girl can put on a show and it's been the joy of SB to dive with someone here and to find them more than you'd ever imagined.

J

I think joggers are a genuine exception to anyrule a) it's a kinda weird thing to do :blinking: and b) how many ways can you get people to jog? Keeping walking, but faster.

as for Sas - I'll say no more but that she's a great person and wonderful to dive with. I hope I have many more dives, kelp, big eyed cuttlefish, multiple gang banging blue ringed Octopus - I could go on but Jeez, this girl can put on a show and it's been the joy of SB to dive with someone here and to find them more than you'd ever imagined.

J

:blush: Well I only save the cephalopod pr0n for special people! But ok, more seriously, same goes :)

:blush: Well I only save the cephalopod pr0n for special people! But ok, more seriously, same goes :)

Probably time to get a room. As they say.

And for me, it's time to say goodnight and god bless.

Save diving to fishes, strokes and divers alike :wink: Kiss the wonder of it all.

Buenos noches amigos,

J

J

:hijack: sorry can't resist.. that is because you are not a technical Jogger:rofl3: If you don't keep your arms moving properly you waste energy, your stride needs to ensure you land right so you don't wast energy or put stress on the joints unevenly. The Shoes need to suit the surface you are jogging on. Your breathing needs to be timed correctly with your strides. A technically correct jogger and a recreational jogger can be as different as a brand new diver is from a technical diver:rofl3:

If you make it back this way again... it would be great to meet you! Has Sas told you about Invade the Rock?:D

My wife has fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrom. Thus she has an inability to move enough to count as an exercise. Hence she is also overweight.

Hence I disagree with your assessment.

I'd also query whether its safe for someone suffering from that to be diving at all.

Really if you're unable to move around your own gear why do you expect someone else to do it for you? General rule is you dive it, you carry it.

Most fibromyalgia sufferers are on a cocktail of anti-inflammatory and pain control medications. I'm just saying.....

I'm an old fashion kind of a guy. Chivalry runs deep in my blood.

Chivalry has a certain kind of sex appeal, too! :blinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom