Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAIT WAIT... I do see a bright side to this.. I now get to explain to my wife that,

She is not a real diver because I carry her gear.
That she expects me to check over her gear before she dives it.
That on night dives she holds my hand.
That I am "bossy underwater" because she forces me to take the lead all the time.

I am sure I can list a few other things out, but really why give her lawyer more ammo?

Whats she doesn't know is, I use her credit card to book all our scuba trips!

(Honey com're, there is a thread on scuba board I need you to read.....)

When I first read this thread I felt so hurt and betrayed. But now after reading the replies I feel much better. You see, I was certified 2 yrs ago and don't have alot of experience because I've been unable to find a dive buddy. I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia,(I'm in my middle 40's) but I refuse to let my medical condition control me. I try REALLY HARD to carry my own "weight". But I do need more assistant than most. That's why I'm willing to carpool and drive and pay for the gas. I figure that's worth something. Or maybe I can buy you luch or dinner or drinks. It doesn't matter. I will show my gratitude. I don't expect "something" for "nothing".

WAIT WAIT... I do see a bright side to this.. I now get to explain to my wife that,

She is not a real diver because I carry her gear.
That she expects me to check over her gear before she dives it.
That on night dives she holds my hand.
That I am "bossy underwater" because she forces me to take the lead all the time.

I am sure I can list a few other things out, but really why give her lawyer more ammo?

Whats she doesn't know is, I use her credit card to book all our scuba trips!

(Honey com're, there is a thread on scuba board I need you to read.....)

Funny. I wish my husband would do all that for me.:D

When I first read this thread I felt so hurt and betrayed. But now after reading the replies I feel much better. You see, I was certified 2 yrs ago and don't have alot of experience because I've been unable to find a dive buddy. I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia,(I'm in my middle 40's) but I refuse to let my medical condition control me. I try REALLY HARD to carry my own "weight". But I do need more assistant than most. That's why I'm willing to carpool and drive and pay for the gas. I figure that's worth something. Or maybe I can buy you luch or dinner or drinks. It doesn't matter. I will show my gratitude. I don't expect "something" for "nothing".

Hey now.....buying dinner, drinks, paying for gas? Who ARE you? :balloons: :)

An instructor with a problem of Newbies needing help......:grouphug:.......can't we all just get along? Love one another? :vomit:

Things that makes you want to say.....mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

A potential kind dive buddy. But can't seem to find one.

I think I speak for the DiveNY crew when I say:

Come to NY/NJ/PA and we'll show you a good time diving.
Provide food and lodging in Tampa and we'll show you a GREAT TIME!

wait... maybe that's not such a good idea... have they cleaned up the mess in the keys yet?

Man, this brought people out of the woodwork.

I will do my best to answer your questions.

Stinggirl...I do not know you. In answer to your question, I recommend getting experience by diving to your level of experience, then once comfortable at that level continue to take additional scuba related classed (once again, no solicitation implied) and don’t sign up for dives you are not qualified for. My question is, why do you feel this was personal? Possibly consider a permanent dive partner that understands your needs so if you aren't paying a DM.

It's too bad that so many were offended by what I said. I said what I did for your own benefit. When we go diving, we are going for fun. (unless otherwise designated) We have enough of our own gear to haul around back and forth up and down for those divers that feel the other divers are only there for their own pack-mule purposes.

My reference to the assistance of a DM was for inexperienced divers who "NEED" assistance.

I will ignore the name calling and un-necessary remarks. I posted this for the benefit of those who do not want to spend their well earned money on a charter only to find themselves being an unpaid assistant.

An extended courtesy to your buddy or friend is one thing...someone going on the dive assuming others on the boat are there for their own convenience is another.

I have and will continue to carry my own gear. I have been and will always be, 5'2" tall. I will not assume my buddy or anyone else is on the boat for my own personal valet. I also teach those standards. If the experienced divers who found offence at me posting this, I'm sorry you feel the way you do.

Being a 'newby' is not an excuse. Were you not required to carry your own gear, assemble, disassemble ..etc while in class? If you are a newby this should be fresh information.

The organization I work is irrelevant. I would hope all organizations teach independency regarding the aforementioned. If they aren't..no wonder there are so many needy divers.

Yes, rescue yourself. If you don't understand...I'm not saying a word.

The term licensed was used in error. I stand corrected...certified.

Many of you are very willing to throw stones. I posted this as a comment, an observation and for those who may need an eye opener, just that. If you find yourself angry, possibly you should evaluate why you are...are you one who expects it? If you are one who allows it...hey, ya'll pair up!

I do carry my buddies gear out of courtesy quite frequently. I do this not because they expect it...insist on it or depend on it. I do this because I am nice...contrary to your assumptions. They do the same for me. I think most of you don’t understand what I mean about doing this out of friendship vs. expectancy.

Like someone said.....if the shoe fits.

Man, this brought people out of the woodwork.

I will do my best to answer your questions.

Stinggirl...I do not know you. In answer to your question, I recommend getting experience by diving to your level of experience, then once comfortable at that level continue to take additional scuba related classed (once again, no solicitation implied) and don’t sign up for dives you are not qualified for. My question is, why do you feel this was personal? Possibly consider a permanent dive partner that understands your needs so if you aren't paying a DM.

It's too bad that so many were offended by what I said. I said what I did for your own benefit. When we go diving, we are going for fun. (unless otherwise designated) We have enough of our own gear to haul around back and forth up and down for those divers that feel the other divers are only there for their own pack-mule purposes.

My reference to the assistance of a DM was for inexperienced divers who "NEED" assistance.

I will ignore the name calling and un-necessary remarks. I posted this for the benefit of those who do not want to spend their well earned money on a charter only to find themselves being an unpaid assistant.

An extended courtesy to your buddy or friend is one thing...someone going on the dive assuming others on the boat are there for their own convenience is another.

I have and will continue to carry my own gear. I have been and will always be, 5'2" tall. I will not assume my buddy or anyone else is on the boat for my own personal valet. I also teach those standards. If the experienced divers who found offence at me posting this, I'm sorry you feel the way you do.

Being a 'newby' is not an excuse. Were you not required to carry your own gear, assemble, disassemble ..etc while in class? If you are a newby this should be fresh information.

The organization I work is irrelevant. I would hope all organizations teach independency regarding the aforementioned. If they aren't..no wonder there are so many needy divers.

Yes, rescue yourself. If you don't understand...I'm not saying a word.

The term licensed was used in error. I stand corrected...certified.

Many of you are very willing to throw stones. I posted this as a comment, an observation and for those who may need an eye opener, just that. If you find yourself angry, possibly you should evaluate why you are...are you one who expects it? If you are one who allows it...hey, ya'll pair up!

I do carry my buddies gear out of courtesy quite frequently. I do this not because they expect it...insist on it or depend on it. I do this because I am nice...contrary to your assumptions. They do the same for me. I think most of you don’t understand what I mean about doing this out of friendship vs. expectancy.

Like someone said.....if the shoe fits.

Why did you feel the need to post this thread? If you came across someone you felt "expected" to be basically taken care of, maybe you should've expressed it to that person. In my opinion, I think a new diver should dive with a diver with more experience than themselve. If you go with someone with your own level is like the blind leading the blind. This is just my opinion. No one has to agree with me. Just PLEASE respect my OPINION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom