Can You See Me Now? Can You???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John A Lewis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When divers get together and talk about sites, there's always one question that rears it's head.

"What's the viz like?"

It can be beautiful topside, warm, and fantastic in every other way, but it means nothing if you can't see the sights underwater.

So, without further ado:

WHERE TO GO TO FIND THE BEST VISIBILITY IN THE WORLD

The only place I dive at on that list is the Mighty O and the springs :) - sometimes the springs get pretty silty so viz varies from amazing to horrible.

That reminds me of one of the times we were diving in Belize on a cruise stop. We were barely through the door of the dive shop before they started apologizing to us. "Just so you know, the viz isn't very good today. It was raining the last few days, and that's totally beyond our control." (Well, duhhh!)

I asked what the viz actually was.

"Sir, sorry, but the best we can find today is 55 feet."

My wfie and I just looked at each other and started laughing. I had to explain to them that diving in Texas lakes usually meant that "good" viz was 5 feet.

I believe when we actually made it out, it had improved to around 65 feet or so.

Had a similar difference of perspective regarding visibility in Turks & Caicos last November. They'd had a storm blow through the week before so we were told that visibility was going to be "poor, sometimes no better than 65 feet". The last dive my son & I did before that trip was at Lake Tenkiller. There were at least 5 groups doing OW checkout dives and they had the scuba park so stirred up that viz was literally about 18 inches. Needless to say, we were not disappointed with the "poor" visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom