Canadian woman presumed dead - Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Most articles found from additional searches are in Spanish. After google translation, some say she was an expert diver, diving with an instructor, staying at Anthony's Key, the captain ignored yellow flag warnings, as well as referring to her as American in some references. This news story in English is about the stormy weather and other losses: Storm in Honduras leaves 4 people dead, 15 missing - Xinhua | English.news.cn

About the diver: Declaran muerta a canadiense desaparecida cuando buceaba en Roatán

After google translate: Google Translate

My wife and I met Maurene Lalonde and her husband Pierre, at dinner the night before the accident. They invited us to join them because they liked to meet new people. Maurene and Pierre were on their 1st day of a 5 week trip (they come to Anthony Key numerous times a year). Maurene was set to hit her 700th dive on Tuesday. Pierre is not a diver.

The morning of the accident, the resort had all of the boats move to the other side of the island (by the airport) as that side of the island was much calmer. They bussed us over to the boats for 2 dives in the morning. Maurene was on my boat with 5 other divers. She had everything set up on the boat except for her weights. She had the dive master put them in as she directed. At least two were in non dump able pockets high on her rig. I think she had 14 or 16 lbs.

The dive master gave a good briefing after tying up at a buoy north of the airport. Maurene was going to be paired up with the dive master, as we were a throw together group. Myself and Clay (1st time meeting him) were in the water 1st. Went down the mooring line and waiting at 30' on the top of the wall. The boat was being pushed over the wall so the initial entry was off the wall. A father/son pair came down and then we were waiting for the last group. We were about 200' from the back of the boat so we could not see when the last ones got in. The DM was helping a guy equalize around 20' when we head him banging his tank. It wasn't just couple of bangs. He was in continuous banging. Our group of 4 started moving into the deeper water and I saw the DM on a nose dive motioning up with one hand and banging with the other.

The 4 of us continued the dive down to 80' as I lost sight of the DM continuing his downward dive. My partner Clay dove down until I lost sight of him. I went down to 100' and leveled off. I took out my flashlight and turned it on to strobe and followed the 3 bubble trails with the light. I moved back up to 80' and found that the father/son pair had split up. The son (18 yoa) came to me and I told him to stay with me. About 2-3 minutes later the father showed up. We stayed at 80' with all three of us using our flashlights for about 3-5 minutes longer. I then let them know we needed to get back to the boat as this was now a rescue and the DM didn't need any more issues to deal with.

At 15' we were doing our safety stop when the DM blew past us and ripped off his mask at the surface. He spoke with the boat Captain and then went back down. We got on the boat and Clay surfaced a few minutes later. I asked him how deep he went. He said 173' on his computer and it was flashing error messages at him. He had over 1,000 psi so I told him to get back down to 30' as I put my gear back on to be his safety diver for some in water decompression. The DM was coming up as I entered the water. He said he had gone down to 200'. He spoke with the Captain again, and again dove down (approx. 100' as we could still see him). We stayed in the water between 20-30' for about 16 minutes before the DM came up and we all got back on the boat.

The DM stated he saw Maurene and she had her arms folder and her head tilted to the side as she was dropping feet first. She never responded physically to his gestures or tank banging. He lost sight of her after he got down around 200'. We found out later that this section of the wall drops down to 400-500'.

We put Clay on O2 until a 2nd boat arrived and they gave us their O2 and we put the DM on it at that time. 2 DM's from another boat went into the water but came up empty. The Captain could not leave the scene, so we had to transfer to another boat that took us to shore and a bus ride back to our resort (they have a chamber at Anthony Key). DM and Clay were on O2 until they arrived. Clay was complaining of a headache and the DM of right shoulder joint pain. They were put in the chamber together for 2 1/2- 3 hours. Clay was cleared to dive 24 hours after exiting the chamber. He and I (and my wife) did his 1st dive together after the accident. The father and son switched to a new boat as the son was having problems with the death.

I've read three stories in the newspapers and thought I needed to get this off my chest. The last I saw of Maurene, she was on the boat with a great big smile on her face ready for that 1st dive of the vacation. That's how I will remember the lady who asked us to dine with them because they liked to meet new people.

Last edited:
This of course this is so sad to hear. I've been diving with Anthony Keys and they are very professional and a 5 Star PADI shop. Just goes to show us all that things can go very wrong in a very short period of time even with an experienced diver.
Seems like 14 to 16lbs of weight would be excessive for that location. Was she wearing a thick wetsuit? Do you think she had a BCD failure? Medical emergency? Also did your dive buddy leave you and go down to 175' trying to help her? Father and son separating? Sounds like a avalanche of badness all happening at once. My condolences to her family and everyone involved.

I may be missing something obvious here Terry, but why did the 4 of you "continue the dive" after being signalled to go up by the DM? Let alone to 173 feet? The way you've worded this, it doesn't sound like a down current was involved.

Did you not understand why the DM was banging his tank?

Was this procedure not explained to you as part of the pre-dive briefing? If not, AKR deserves some of the blame for this. Continuous banging on the ladder or tank is always a sign to immediately return to the boat.

And you saw him motioning to return to the boat and instead chose to continue your dive? Why?

My wife and I met Maurene Lalonde and her husband Pierre, at dinner the night before the accident. They invited us to join them because they liked to meet new people. Maurene and Pierre were on their 1st day of a 5 week trip (they come to Anthony Key numerous times a year). Maurene was set to hit her 700th dive on Tuesday. Pierre is not a diver.

The morning of the accident, the resort had all of the boats move to the other side of the island (by the airport) as that side of the island was much calmer. They bussed us over to the boats for 2 dives in the morning. Maurene was on my boat with 5 other divers. She had everything set up on the boat except for her weights. She had the dive master put them in as she directed. At least two were in non dump able pockets high on her rig. I think she had 14 or 16 lbs.

The dive master gave a good briefing after tying up at a buoy north of the airport. Maurene was going to be paired up with the dive master, as we were a throw together group. Myself and Clay (1st time meeting him) were in the water 1st. Went down the mooring line and waiting at 30' on the top of the wall. The boat was being pushed over the wall so the initial entry was off the wall. A father/son pair came down and then we were waiting for the last group. We were about 200' from the back of the boat so we could not see when the last ones got in. The DM was helping a guy equalize around 20' when we head him banging his tank. It wasn't just couple of bangs. He was in continuous banging. Our group of 4 started moving into the deeper water and I saw the DM on a nose dive motioning up with one hand and banging with the other.

The 4 of us continued the dive down to 80' as I lost sight of the DM continuing his downward dive. My partner Clay dove down until I lost sight of him. I went down to 100' and leveled off. I took out my flashlight and turned it on to strobe and followed the 3 bubble trails with the light. I moved back up to 80' and found that the father/son pair had split up. The son (18 yoa) came to me and I told him to stay with me. About 2-3 minutes later the father showed up. We stayed at 80' with all three of us using our flashlights for about 3-5 minutes longer. I then let them know we needed to get back to the boat as this was now a rescue and the DM didn't need any more issues to deal with.

At 15' we were doing our safety stop when the DM blew past us and ripped off his mask at the surface. He spoke with the boat Captain and then went back down. We got on the boat and Clay surfaced a few minutes later. I asked him how deep he went. He said 173' on his computer and it was flashing error messages at him. He had over 1,000 psi so I told him to get back down to 30' as I put my gear back on to be his safety diver for some in water decompression. The DM was coming up as I entered the water. He said he had gone down to 200'. He spoke with the Captain again, and again dove down (approx. 100' as we could still see him). We stayed in the water between 20-30' for about 16 minutes before the DM came up and we all got back on the boat.

The DM stated he saw Maurene and she had her arms folder and her head tilted to the side as she was dropping feet first. She never responded physically to his gestures or tank banging. He lost sight of her after he got down around 200'. We found out later that this section of the wall drops down to 400-500'.

We put Clay on O2 until a 2nd boat arrived and they gave us their O2 and we put the DM on it at that time. 2 DM's from another boat went into the water but came up empty. The Captain could not leave the scene, so we had to transfer to another boat that took us to shore and a bus ride back to our resort (they have a chamber at Anthony Key). DM and Clay were on O2 until they arrived. Clay was complaining of a headache and the DM of right shoulder joint pain. They were put in the chamber together for 2 1/2- 3 hours. Clay was cleared to dive 24 hours after exiting the chamber. He and I (and my wife) did his 1st dive together after the accident. The father and son switched to a new boat as the son was having problems with the death.

I've read three stories in the newspapers and thought I needed to get this off my chest. The last I saw of Maurene, she was on the boat with a great big smile on her face ready for that 1st dive of the vacation. That's how I will remember the lady who asked us to dine with them because they liked to meet new people.

Terry, I do want to thank you for joining SB and bringing us your report. Just witnessing such a tragedy can give anyone undeserved stress, and talking it out can be very helpful.

I'd like to be more supportive, but some of your statements do seem alarming! I am sorry, but these are questionable.
My partner Clay dove down until I lost sight of him. I went down to 100' and leveled off. I took out my flashlight and turned it on to strobe and followed the 3 bubble trails with the light. I moved back up to 80' and found that the father/son pair had split up. The son (18 yoa) came to me and I told him to stay with me. About 2-3 minutes later the father showed up.
So everyone split up at depths of 100 feet or more? I don't think I'll be the only one to suggest this was risky and y'all are lucky the accident didn't snowball, but I don't guess you had any control over the other three.

I asked him how deep he went. He said 173' on his computer and it was flashing error messages at him. He had over 1,000 psi so I told him to get back down to 30' as I put my gear back on to be his safety diver for some in water decompression.
Why did he solo bounce so deep? Did he think he could help? I don't guess any of y'all wear diving doubles, or even a pony? And where did you get the idea that in water decompression was a good idea. I know we hear about it, but it's not safe, and a short recompression followed by ascent can make matters worse.

Very interesting comments - maybe I dont dive enough outside of NJ.

I have used tank banging to get attention for divers close by - pointing to a Hammerhead shark to share the sight.

I have never heard Tank Banging to recall divers - ever...

I have heard of banging on the ladder which sounds a whole lot different. But I am not sure of the OP protocol so I will refrain from saying sheesh guys - your being a bit tough on Terry... If I were Terry I would just close down the account and move on...

I do listen to the boat briefing and if they dont say what the recall is - and I have not figured out there is an emergency - they better do it several times before I stop my dive and go investigate. I dont see Terry being far off on this... YMMV :)

I have used tank banging to get attention for divers close by - pointing to a Hammerhead shark to share the sight.

I have never heard Tank Banging to recall divers - ever...
I think the operative word is "continuous". If the DM is already at 30 feet and pursuing a diver in an uncontrolled descent, they're hardly going to turn round and go back to the boat just to bang on the ladder.

"The DM stated he saw Maurene and she had her arms folder and her head tilted to the side as she was dropping feet first. She never responded physically to his gestures or tank banging. He lost sight of her after he got down around 200'. "

That does not sound like someone with a failed BCD or over weighted. Such a person would, I would think, be trying to swim or slow their descent or drop weights, etc.. Especially somebody with 700 dives who knows that plunging down is a no-no.
This sounds like some one who is out of it be it for heart, vertigo, stroke, flooded regulator and water inhalation or what ever. Not that overweight may not contribute if there are other factors.

Back
Top Bottom