Cancun Airport to Puerto Adventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeani figured long days but that's what I was after patrick is doing the course as long as he isn't held up in Madagascar if he isn't back then have the choice of Rob or Kim. I'm sure my wife and the youngen will have plenty to keep them busy thru out the day

I would definitely get with Protec to work all this out. They've always taken care of setting up my transportation when I'm there, although your case might be a little more complicated. I would expect they will just pick you up every day at your condo on the way to the cenotes.

Are you staying in Chac Hal Al? Then your family will have beach access, and access to one of the most beautiful pools I've ever seen.

Walk down to Latitude 40 one night for great ceviche, fabulous burgers, and really good margaritas.

Ill have to checkn on the name not sure what it is i know that we have full access to the omni

I just got back from Riviera Maya. I used cabs to go to Playa del Carmen to dive. Two things to be aware of if you do that:

The hotel we were at was giving 13.50 pesos to the dollar. The cabs were charging $370 pesos or $37 USD, which is a 30% higher exchange rate. So, it's worth paying the cab in pesos if you can get a better than 10-1 exchange rate.

The cab drivers are eager to work. They would ask when I'll be done and can they come pick me up. I didn't try to bargain with them, but that may be an option.

There are two police checkpoints on Rt 307 between Cancun and Playa del Carmen (that's as far as I got, there may be more further south). The checkpoints are like toll booths, in that you have to stop.
They randomly search cars and trucks, although it looked like taxis and tour operator buses get in the right line and go right through. The cab driver told me they're looking for criminals which may be true. I just mention it as something else you will have to deal with if you rent a car.

Have a great vacation. Cancun airport is so much more "fun" than American airports.

Was the 37 round trip where were you staying that you were traveling back and fourth from playa

We've been going down there since 2007 (13 trips so far, I believe) and we have never been stopped or searched. I think they mostly target people who appear to be local.

We were stopped at a checkpoint going into Cancun at night 15 years ago in a rental car. They looked in the window and told us to go on. If you get out on the back roads, Punta Allen, etc you may run into a military checkpoint where they will want to look in your trunk. They will be polite and smile and quickly get you on your way.

We stay in that area often, including Puerto Aventuras. We have never needed a car. The collectivo system that runs up and down the hwy is efficient and cheap. We've had no issues traveling back and forth from Playa to Tulum and everywhere in between. The exception to that is if we were out late, then much fewer vans are traveling. In that case we default to taxis....but that is much more expensive than the collectivo. It's also a lot of fun...ya never know if the van will be filled with tourists traveling up the corridor, local families, or a local farmer with animals in tow.

Back
Top Bottom