Cancun C58 Wreck Dive - Seeking Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like I will be doing this one in June. Contacted several dive shops in Cancun. Depth is apparently hard bottom at 80 and they will allow regular OW. Currents apparently strong at times. Listed as 2 tank dive so not sure if I will do my Nitrox while I am there or just dive air; if not 2nd dive is gonna be a short one ! Has anyone done this dive? what LDS did you go through? Any recollection of the conditions? Any input would be appreciated.
George

I have used three shops for this dive over the last ten years. Manta Divers, Solo Buceo, and Coconut Divers. All three shops did great job. Most will have this as the first dive with a shallower reef dive as the 2nd tank. I did the C55 and C58 in one trip last year. The surface interval was 1.5 hours so had good bottom time on both. Both dives were done on air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 07:06 PM ----------

Currents can be strong on the wreck site. They usually drop you down current and you drift to the wreck and then use the buoy line for accent. Visibility is generally good to excellent. Usually will see turtles and lots of life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok sounds good. We are staying at the Crown Paradise and apparently it's right around the corner from Manta divers. I will boom them. Thanks for the info.
George

Its a fun dive..I did it twice in December with Solo Buceo....
The first time we went the current was pretty strong....was tossing my 100Lb girlfriend around pretty good...the second dive the Rays were out in force.....very cool to see

here is a crappy video I took of the second dive ..:)

wreck2 - YouTube

Manta Divers is a good dive shop I would highly recommend them. I have dived the C-55 twice. The first time (2003) it was standing upright and I got a great shot of the bow gun. The second time (2007) the ship was pretty torn up. But we saw a pod of huge barracuda that were at least 5' long. HUGE. There was little current the first time. The second time the current was ripping! Descended and ascended on the buoy line. While off gassing, one of my dive buddies had his regulator torn out of his mouth (it separated from the mouthpiece) and a second one had his mask turned sideways on his face!!! We looked like flags flapping on the ascent line. It's now a memorable dive...then it was pretty scary. Have fun.

Ok sounds good. We are staying at the Crown Paradise and apparently it's right around the corner from Manta divers. I will boom them. Thanks for the info.
George

The shop is about 2-3 miles from the hotel. A bit of a walk, but easy to get there by bus. Some shops will dive the wreck on certain days (ex: every Friday), but when I last dove with Manta, they left it up to the divers to decide.

More great info…yikes the current does not sound fun… looks like the rock climbing gear is coming out… home made jon line.. large carabiner easy to clip.. How did you guys deal with the current while diving the site ? Any wreck reels deployed? I will give Manta Divers a call since they are so close to the hotel… being able to pick the day based on conditions would be great. Thanks again to all of you.
George

Current is a lot of fun. You may want to do a couple of drift dives to get used to the current before doing a wreak dive.

More great info…yikes the current does not sound fun… looks like the rock climbing gear is coming out… home made jon line.. large carabiner easy to clip.. How did you guys deal with the current while diving the site ? Any wreck reels deployed? I will give Manta Divers a call since they are so close to the hotel… being able to pick the day based on conditions would be great. Thanks again to all of you.
George

use the structure of the wreck to your advantage to block or lesson the current

Hello George,
Just because a dive is deep that does not necessarily mean that the 2nd dive should be cut short.
C58 and C55 are located at 75ft to 80ft deep, the maximum allowed time at these depths is 29mins. (safety stop included)
These Wrecks are amazing, they used to be part of the Admirable Class of the US Navy, during WWII
C58 (General Anaya) was split in to by Hurrican Wilma, it depends on current if we can visit both sites (bow and stern) due to the location of the Wrecks being at the outer area of the national park and unprotected by the coastline and coral walls, in the general area these dives are drift dives, sometimes more current than others, there are times we cannot access the wrecks due to the strong currents even though both have life lines to come up and down.

For more information on a private,personalized service, please click on the website and send us an email.

Happy diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom