Cancun car rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matjazr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
looking for some small car rental Cancun airport. Any recommendation?
Use it for scuba off course in february 2024 :wink:

Many use discovercars.com to compare options from various rental companies. We recently rented from Mex Rent A Car, which is one of the larger companies. On a previous trip we used Yes Rent A Car, which was a small outfit that offered good prices, though the car was older.

If you’re taking a dive course, why do you need a car?

approx how much they block u on credit card....i read conditions and can be up to 3000 usd for mini car: Mexico Terms & Conditions

and much more for bigger one?

Many use discovercars.com to compare options from various rental companies. We recently rented from Mex Rent A Car, which is one of the larger companies. On a previous trip we used Yes Rent A Car, which was a small outfit that offered good prices, though the car was older.

If you’re taking a dive course, why do you need a car?
i don't take diving course....i will arrive from Florida cave diving in mex for one week....again for cave diving :wink:

If you are booking ahead of time, I use Mex or Isis. Both list the actual price on their website.
If you are getting a car when you arrive, you need to understand Mexican haggling culture.
You walk out of baggage claim into the car rental area, pick one and get a total price.
Go to the next window, lie about the price you just got and get a new total price. Go to the next window and lie about that price until you get a new total price. Once all of them start giving you the same prices, you have gotten to what it actually costs. Pick one and rent the car.
Depending on season and demand, plan to pay $45-70usd per day for a small car with full coverage insurance.
I was just down for 10 days over christmas and it was the highest I have ever paid at $58 per day for 10 days. But after haggling, everybody was in that ballpark so I ran with it.

i don't take diving course....i will arrive from Florida cave diving in mex for one week....again for cave diving :wink:
I apologize--I misread your post. You meant "use it for scuba, of course, in February 2024."

We paid 66 USD per day for a 9-day rental in December (high season) with Mex Rent A Car. The car was a VW Virtus.

looking for some small car rental Cancun airport. Any recommendation?
Use it for scuba off course in february 2024 :wink:
YES car rental has been good for us.

If you are booking ahead of time, I use Mex or Isis. Both list the actual price on their website.
If you are getting a car when you arrive, you need to understand Mexican haggling culture.
You walk out of baggage claim into the car rental area, pick one and get a total price.
Go to the next window, lie about the price you just got and get a new total price. Go to the next window and lie about that price until you get a new total price. Once all of them start giving you the same prices, you have gotten to what it actually costs. Pick one and rent the car.
Depending on season and demand, plan to pay $45-70usd per day for a small car with full coverage insurance.
I was just down for 10 days over christmas and it was the highest I have ever paid at $58 per day for 10 days. But after haggling, everybody was in that ballpark so I ran with it.
i understand...and want to book car in advance...

1.problem with mex: is The Credit Card must be personalized and have 1 year of using it, a credit card that was issued not more than 1 year ago will not be useful for a rental.
Mine credit card is december 2023, so will not work.
2. Isis would go, but need somehow come to playa del carmen....any idea with all diving lagugage traveling around :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom