Cancun to Playa Del Carmen taxi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aprxh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If I arrive at cancun right after the bus leaves, I was planning on taking the taxi. I think the fare is $60.00 US, do you tip on top of that?

In Mexico one generally doesn't tip cab drivers and they don't expect it, except from Americans who don't know better.

Unless you just miss the bus by a few minutes you might be just as well off waiting an hour for the next one. The bus times well with the ferry, so paying a premium for a cab won't necessarily help you catch an earlier boat.

You might also consider the vans, they're about half the price of cabs.

Whatever you decide, check the ferry schedule in advance so you don't spend money for the privilege of waiting 1 hour at the ferry dock instead of at the airport. The dough you save buys dinner for two in Cozumel.

Whatever you decide, check the ferry schedule in advance so you don't spend money for the privilege of waiting 1 hour at the ferry dock instead of at the airport.

Unless, of course, you'd rather spend that hour sipping margaritas and looking out over the Caribbean than hanging out in an airport. Playa is a really pleasant place to hang out for a bit waiting on the ferry. There's a Senor Frog's that's not too obnoxious (as opposed to the one on Cozumel) right at the base of the ferry dock where you can watch for the boat.

I will be arriving in Cancun at 11:20AM this saturday. I most likely will miss the noon bus.

Given the time to clear customs, you will most assuredly miss the noon bus I personally wouldn't sweat it. Lots of buses at that time and subsequent ferries. Chill. Have a crevaza or two to fill in the time.

I will be arriving in Cancun at 11:20AM this saturday. I most likely will miss the noon bus.

If you are at terminal 3 (newest), bus is at 15 til the hour. It then goes to terminal 2 and leaves on the hour. You will not have to wait long for the 12:45 as Imigration and luggage will take 45min-1 hour anyway. And the flights are always 10 -15 min late getting to the gate.

i am a veteran bag dragger. with the new terminal things went much quicker when i was there last may. also remember that it is mex so don't give up too easily on catching the bus.
option #1 bus. option #2 collectivo van, but make sure that you do not get on one stoping at resorts between cun and playa. option #3 taxi but be sure to get price before getting in.
i have never taken cab from cun to playa but usually take it in the opposite direction. can negotiate for $us 30-35. at airport, i think prices are fixed by union. when you arrive in playa, get one of the tricycles there to take your bags to ferry. they take whatever you think is fair in payment.
as a previous poster has stated playa is a nice place to hang out. sometimes we leave our bags with the young women in the ferry ticket office and get lunch along 5th av.

I waited for the bus and everything was fine. We did not have to wait long for the ferry. But it was a little rough on the crossing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom