Cancun underwater museum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive pro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Cancun Underwater Museum of Art has by now grown a lot.
There are several different statues that surround Manchones reef at the Cancun/Isla Mujeres National Park
Jason deCaires Taylor Underwater Sculpture by Jason deCaires Taylor is a Scuba Instructor and a photo and sculpture artist the makes this sculptures with a special cement that provides a livable environment where coral and the ecosystem that develops around it grows.

After 2 statues showed that the environment around it was possible for this statues, the "silent evolution" gallery with 400 human size sculptures that represents the artists view of the human race.

divepro cancun underwater museum 4.jpg jason photo of me ny times.jpg JASON PHOTO OF ME.jpg
This photos can show the silent evolution photos of me taken by Jason deCaires Taylor

After this gallery started to develop several new statues were sunk:

DIVEPRO UNDERWATER MUSEUM VOCHO (2).jpg LJS_0321.jpg LJS_0327.jpg LJS_0331.jpg

The arches were made by local artist Karen Salinas Jason and the Museum wanted artists to be able to expose their work in the beautiful Mexican Caribbean

aa.jpg aaaaa.jpg

In July 2012 new galleries at the "silent evolution" were sunk:

[video=youtube_share;TIvMsnB2yZc]http://youtu.be/TIvMsnB2yZc[/video]

[video=youtube;kgSxn8aZsj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgSxn8aZsj4[/video]

The objective of the Museum other than the expression of art is to reduce the many divers that visit the coral reef areas, with an interesting attraction that provides Cancun with another dive site that many have chose to revisit and document the changes of the statues, at some statues algae has grown as part of the process and this has affected divers opinions on whether it is nice or not.

It is still a great choice to dive while in the Cancun area, divers from the Mayan Riviera and Cozumel, come to visit this museum.

If you would like more info on how to dive the museum click on the web site and shoot us an email

Happy Diving

Attachments

• divepro cancun diving (37).jpg
    divepro cancun diving (37).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 183
  • DIVEPRO UNDERWATER MUSEUM VOCHO.jpg
    DIVEPRO UNDERWATER MUSEUM VOCHO.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DIVEPRO UNDERWATER MUSEUM VOCHO (2).jpg
    DIVEPRO UNDERWATER MUSEUM VOCHO (2).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Jason deCaires Taylor-3099JdeCT.jpg
    Jason deCaires Taylor-3099JdeCT.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 81
  • LJS_0274.jpg
    LJS_0274.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 139
  • aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Gracias Bro! Coming from the best in Playa del Carmen and one of the best in the world, I feel honored.

---------- Post Merged at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:43 PM ----------

I dived the sites in Isla Mujeres in November.
I loved them, as it was such an unusual sight to see.
A friend of mine and her sister have modeled for the artist for statues, so it was a must see for me.
I dived with Squalo adventures on IM.
I would like to go back in a few years and see how the reef has changed and grown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom