Canister Light Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my Cavern/Intro Cave in a couple of weeks and need to get a good Primary. In addition the light will be used any wreck dives I do.

I am leaning towards canister since the head can be strapped to my hand to leave it free for photgaphy/reels etc depending on the situation.

I have looked at the DiveRite slimline with mr11 head for $625 at the LSD and the OMS Phantom for $599 at a different LDS. Both are 10W HID.

Any comments/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mavjax:
I am getting ready to do my Cavern/Intro Cave in a couple of weeks and need to get a good Primary. In addition the light will be used any wreck dives I do.

I am leaning towards canister since the head can be strapped to my hand to leave it free for photgaphy/reels etc depending on the situation.

I have looked at the DiveRite slimline with mr11 head for $625 at the LSD and the OMS Phantom for $599 at a different LDS. Both are 10W HID.

Any comments/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This is obviously a big investment.

Is there any way you could rent one for the class? A big question will be do you really want to go with 10W or would 18 - 21W be better? Trying one out and seeing what the other divers' lights are like could keep you from a buyer's remorse problem down the road.

I have a 18 - 21W and I can tell you it kicks butt. I really like it for low-vis wreck diving. It is a custom-made light, you can PM me for more info.

One word: Terkel.
The customer service is awesome! The light is very durable (mine jumped out of the back of my truck with tank attached to it at 30 mph and sustained only minor damage) and is inexpensive. Excellent craftsmanship.

http://www.terkel.net/products.html

Henryville:
This is obviously a big investment.

Is there any way you could rent one for the class? A big question will be do you really want to go with 10W or would 18 - 21W be better? Trying one out and seeing what the other divers' lights are like could keep you from a buyer's remorse problem down the road.

I have a 18 - 21W and I can tell you it kicks butt. I really like it for low-vis wreck diving. It is a custom-made light, you can PM me for more info.

I checked that out and the rentals where I am taking the training are $30/day with only 1 day being available for credit against the purchase (and I will be there 3 or 4 days).

Well, if you must buy now, then consider these:

http://www.sarind.com/acatalog/complete_lighting_systems.html

or contact Sandho on TheDecoStop.com He custom makes them, they are great, but I don't think you could get one in time. I have heard great things about the Sarteks and Terkel.

Many people swear by the Halcyon Helios series, that is worth a look, too.

For the Diverite, you can double check prices on

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/lights/lightpkg10w.shtml

but obviously your LDS will appreciate the business.

Just check out what you are really going to get so you don't get killed by "extras" like Goodman handle, reflector, charger, etc.

I have the dive rite wreck 1 canister with the focusable light head, 10watt HID. never had any problem with it. A focusable light head is a good idea. And you wil lwant to have your own charger.

I have a Terkel 10W and a Halcyon Helios 9 18W ... they're both great lights.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've never seen the difference between a 10 watt and an 18 - 21 watt HID, is the difference really worth the price??

FIXXERVI6:
I've never seen the difference between a 10 watt and an 18 - 21 watt HID, is the difference really worth the price??

Hard to tell if it would be worth it to you. I can tell you though if I were to upgrade I would get the 21 watt over the 18. Same price and 15% more light.

Man, my Helios 9 18 W is so bright and powerful I don't even think about needing more. 'course I'm not in any Caves or big wrecks but I do dive in poor vis quite regularly. Has anyone dove side by side with an 18 and 21? If so how much of a difference is there?

I've dove side by side with a 10 W / 18W and THAT was a big difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom