Canister Light Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a Sartek 10 watt HID for a couple years now. A few "issues" have come up due to operator error (my fault). Excellent and prompt customer service. Several Dive Rite 10 wat HID lights owned by people in my area have died recently. All seem to have had a different problem. To me this means they don't have it together yet. You might check out the "new" lights by Barry Miller at "Salvo Diving". I've heard and read a lot of good stuff about him and his work. The lights seem to be Halcyon "clones", for a better price than Halcyon offers. Maybe better customer service too. Good luck.

bcsean:
www.salvodiving.com/home

by the way, I'm pretty sure 21W is just an 18W not taking into account what the ballast uses. Both are 18W essntially. Pretty sure anyway.

I don't think so ... comparing my 18W Helios to the 21W Dive Rite, the bulbs are completely different.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wendy:
I have the dive rite wreck 1 canister with the focusable light head, 10watt HID. never had any problem with it. A focusable light head is a good idea. And you wil lwant to have your own charger.

I haven't seen switch on DiveRite canister at those pictures. Can you confirm that ?

NWGratefulDiver:
I don't think so ... comparing my 18W Helios to the 21W Dive Rite, the bulbs are completely different.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is there a noticable difference underwater in brightness? How about a difference in burn time?

bcsean:
Is there a noticable difference underwater in brightness? How about a difference in burn time?

I only saw the 21W Dive Rite light at the shop ... I haven't seen one underwater yet. Advertised burn time is 4 hours. FWIW - it's less expensive than my Helios, at around $1,100.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FIXXERVI6:
I've never seen the difference between a 10 watt and an 18 - 21 watt HID, is the difference really worth the price??
I wondered the same thing...

When I was first thinking about lights, I was only considering the use in low light conditions or night dives. For this purpose, could not conceive of needing anything stronger than a 10.

However, as my diving expereince has grown, I have come to realize the light as the primary communication tool for all dives, and most of mine are in daylight.

In my expereince, in the conditions I experience, I have determined that the 10 watt can be rather ineffectual as a daytime signalling device, except over relatively short distances. One might argue that you should not be so far from your buddy, but you could be very close to your buddy (faced the opposite way) and wish to signal off the bottom, a wall or other structure that might be 15 feet or so away.

In my experience the 18 (or more) is the only way to go, and I was a really hard sell...So, I recently ordered the Helios 9/18. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom