Canister Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all...

I am looking into trading in my Light Cannon for a canister light.....

So Im looking for some buying advice.....

#1-reputable brands
#2-any buying guides
#3-must haves
#4-best buys
#5-wattage options
#6-best place to mount it

all that good stuff....

Thanks

NightRaven77

NightRaven77:
Hello all...

#1-reputable brands
#2-any buying guides
#3-must haves
#4-best buys
#5-wattage options

all that good stuff....

Thanks

NightRaven77

I also started out with the Light Cannon (still have it!) and upgraded to a DiveRite 10W HID with the slimline cannister. It is easy to use and very bright. I have not had any problems with the light, just take care and check the o-ring each time before sealing it. The only issue I have ever had is sometimes it is hard to turn it on with my dry gloves on.....

I've never used one, but the OMS 21W HID is a lot of light for your dollar.

Definitley spend for HID, it's a brighter, whiter light than a halogen. Much better, you'll be glad you did.

Halcyon and Salvo also make good lights.

Lights are really a group decision. You should have the same can light as your buddies. Try to dive with someone with a 10, 18 and 21 before purchasing. The difference is quite noticable.

With that said, I think I'll pick up a 21 to trump em :D

Mark

mweitz:
Lights are really a group decision. You should have the same can light as your buddies. Mark

Interesting comment. Is this a DIR thing? I'd be interested in the reason for this statement (I can think of one or two that make sense). Of course being a largely solo diver, it isn't an issue for me since everyone in my "group" uses the same equipment.

Dr. Bill

NightRaven77:
Hello all...

#1-reputable brands
#2-any buying guides
#3-must haves
#4-best buys
#5-wattage options

all that good stuff....

Thanks

NightRaven77

Reputable brands ... there are many. I own a Halcyon 18W and a Terkel 10W ... of the two the Halcyon is brighter, but the Terkel is much less expensive and much more reliable. Dive Rite makes a very good light. There are also some smaller companies out there, like Salvo and Sandroff that make excellent lights (and provide outstanding service).

Buying guides ... I would trust the recommendation of owners over any reviews you read in a magazine.

Must haves ... check out the company's reputation for service. HID lights can be finicky, and the best of them will require service from time to time. Depending on who you choose, getting your light serviced can take days or weeks. How long are you willing to go without a light? Also take a close look at warranties ... one flood can cost you plenty.

Best buys ... I would have to say the 10W lights are probably the best value per watt. Depends entirely on how much light you feel you need to have.

Wattage options ... 10W, 18W, and 21W are the popular sizes. Frankly, I haven't noticed a lot of difference in output between the 18W and 21W lights ... but the 21W bulb seems to be a bit more robust.

Best place to mount it ... I prefer mounting on the waist strap (assuming you have one). You can easily reach your light for turning it on and off ... and it's simple to remove for cleaning and charging after diving.

If possible, avoid an upside-down mount. The reason is that when you don and doff your rig, you can easily (inadvertently) damage the switch boot (because it's on the bottom of the rig where it can snag on something) which will flood the light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Custom Divers makes an excellent ALL stainless steel 10, 18 and soon a 21W light.

I have had mine about 6 weeks and have made around 20 dives with it and it is really robust.

The on/off switch is on the light head (magnetic reed switch) so you can mount the canister whereever you desire and not worry about damage to the switch on the canister.

They are a bit expensive, but they are rugged and durable.

Mike...

Hey Mark,

My new 21w from Howard with the ekpp reflector should be here in the next couple of days, I'll show it to you at breakwater, looks like your trump will have to be slightly larger... :11:

rusty

mweitz:
Halcyon and Salvo also make good lights.

Lights are really a group decision. You should have the same can light as your buddies. Try to dive with someone with a 10, 18 and 21 before purchasing. The difference is quite noticable.

With that said, I think I'll pick up a 21 to trump em :D

Mark

Rusty, BAH! Look forward to seeing it!

Dr. Bill, yeah, sort of. If you go out with a 10W and your buddy has an 18W it is hard to signal back and forth. The 10W is much harder to "see" if you are looking at the beam of the 18W.

On the not DIR note, if you are out with someone with a more powerful light it makes YOURS harder for you to see, as you are drawn to their light movements since it is brighter.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom