Cannabis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikasuzy

New
Reaction score
What are the physiological effects of smoking cannabis in relation to diving. OK, I know its not healthy but what effects may the THC have in your system while diving. Is it possible to smoke the night before. I would never consider smoking prior to dive but THC remains in your system for some time.

I do not really thing that you should be bring such a stupid post to this forum! If you to smoke pot and dive have you ever thought of the danger you could cause to other divers! Grow up and do something sensible with your life, smoking pot sure is not a good thing to advertise as there are police divers who log onto this site!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not really thing that you should be bring such a stupid post to this forum! If you to smoke pot and dive have you ever thought of the danger you could cause to other divers! Grow up and do something sensible with your life, smoking pot sure is not a good thing to advertise as there are police divers who log onto this site!
I see no problem with the original post.

Smoking cannabis is not illegal worldwide. It may be in your area though.

I'd consider smoking cannabis on the same level as drinking alcohol. Both are drugs.

Make sure that when you go diving you are no longer under any influence from whatever substance you've used, be it cannabis or alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a stupid post, I think it's reasonable question .. please re read the post without some inner voice shouting at you
.. It's no different than asking about drinking beer the night before a dive

It's not a stupid post, I think it's reasonable question .. please re read the post without some inner voce shouting at you
.. It's no different than asking about drinking beer the night before a dive
Very much true.

Any substance you're using should be out of your system by the time you go diving.

Start reading and have fun
Marijuana and diving

Could make things look 75% bigger UW----->:)

The effects of cannabis can last for some time and are effected by dose, habituation, amount of fatty tissue and overall health.
The longer you've been using it, the faster the drug gets metabolized, but remember that it is also absorbed in fat stores in the body, which could prolong it's levels. It usually takes about 12-16 hours to clear. While typically producing a sedating effect, it may also produce a sense of anxiety in some folks ,known as a "dysphoric" reaction. It typically slows reflexes, hampers concentration and impairs thinking.
No human studies have been performed and it is unclear as to how hyperbaric environments impact upon it's interaction with tissues,(such as the brain), half life, (how long it remains in the body), etc. For example, insulin dependant diabetics, demonstrate increased sensitivity to insulin at depth due to changes in the tissue sensitivity. I could find only 1 animal study suggesting that at progressively deeper depths, there is a diminishing sedative effect, suggesting hyperbaric induced alterations in tissue sensitivity.

Behavioral Effects of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Under Hyperbaric Air.
Medical research progress rept.,
NAVAL MEDICAL RESEARCH INST BETHESDA MD ; Walsh,J. Michael; Report Date : 1976
Abstract : As part of a continuing research program investigating drugs that may be used in hyperbaric conditions, the present study was undertaken to determine the behavioral effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive ingredient of marijuana. Operant techniques were used to establish sensitive baseline patterns of behavior in rats. Dose-response curves were determined for 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, and 4.0 mg/kg at 1, 3, 5, and 7 ATA with the animals breathing compressed air. As expected, dose-dependent decrements in performance were observed at 1-ATA conditions. Under the elevated pressure conditions, however, a reversal of behavioral toxicity occurred, where performance at 5 and 7 ATA was improved over that at surface with equivalent doses of the drug. These data suggest that the pressure reversals of anesthetics and analgesics that are reported at much greater pressures may well be detected at lower levels of pressure if more sensitive measures are utilized.

This implies that the effects of marijuana at depth are not as predictable as one would expect ; probably being a culmination of pressure, habituation, metabolism, physiognomy, dose and the inevitable "other factors."

Whatever your decision ; dive safely and responsibly.

"I am the lobster, koo koo kachoo." -Cheech Marin

"hey you fish-lipped it man..." - Cheech Marin again

It has been some time since I've smoked, and I never did it in close proximity to a dive. I certainly would never dive under the influence of any mind altering substance other than necessary prescription meds. I don't drink the night before I dive. However, that is because I'm an old geezer and my body has seen its better days, and do dives that involve some risk already... I don't want to totally push the limits.

Agree that the OP is a reasonable one since not all cultures are as hypocritical as ours regarding their allowed mind alterants (I say legalize and tax it like everything else here in California). Unfortunately I can't comment medically on the issue, since I only play a "doctor" on TV. However, in the days I used I would never consider diving, driving or even working when using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom